AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have the Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver, and I am having some trouble understanding it. I've been playing movies on my dvd player like star wars and lord of the rings, and on the display, only the left and right front speakers are lite up, and its it being decoded in pro-logic. I have a 5 speaker system, with no sub yet, but it isn's displaying my back speakers on the display, and why is it being decoded in pro logic? Ive tried switching the options like Cinema DSP etc, but nothing changes, I am totally confused. And I have been through the advanced setup for the receiver so I don't see what I am doing wrong. My audio is going through a fiber optic cable. The sound it okay, but I remember on my older reciever pro logic wasnt that great sounding, and all 5 channels were displayed, so I dont get why only 2 are being shown. Sound comes out of the back left and right speakers, but I don't get why they don't show up? Help?

· Registered
6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan /forum/post/0

Hey, I have the Yamaha HTR-5940 receiver, and I am having some trouble understanding it. I've been playing movies on my dvd player like star wars and lord of the rings, and on the display, only the left and right front speakers are lite up, and its it being decoded in pro-logic. I have a 5 speaker system, with no sub yet, but it isn's displaying my back speakers on the display, and why is it being decoded in pro logic? Ive tried switching the options like Cinema DSP etc, but nothing changes, I am totally confused. And I have been through the advanced setup for the receiver so I don't see what I am doing wrong. My audio is going through a fiber optic cable. The sound it okay, but I remember on my older reciever pro logic wasnt that great sounding, and all 5 channels were displayed, so I dont get why only 2 are being shown. Sound comes out of the back left and right speakers, but I don't get why they don't show up? Help?

Is your DVD player set to PCM or Bitstream???? Bitstream would be your correct setting. If that is correct, check and see if there is an "auto" option on the Yammy.(usually by hitting the DVD input button multiple times untill that option appears.)

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Is your DVD player set to PCM or Bitstream???? Bitstream would be your correct setting. If that is correct, check and see if there is an "auto" option on the Yammy.(usually by hitting the DVD input button multiple times untill that option appears.)

Thanks for the reply... The display on the receiver has PCM lite up, so I guess its set to that, so I should change it to bitstream? On my dvd player it has dolby digital out, and there are 2 options : 1) dolby digital and 2) dolby digital > PCM

and there is DTS out, and it has 2 options : 1) DTS and 2) DTS >PCM

I had it set to dolby digital > pcm and dts>pcm

Should I change it?

I also have the "auto" function enabled on the recevier

· Registered
6,271 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvervulcan /forum/post/0

Thanks for the reply... The display on the receiver has PCM lite up, so I guess its set to that, so I should change it to bitstream? On my dvd player it has dolby digital out, and there are 2 options : 1) dolby digital and 2) dolby digital > PCM

and there is DTS out, and it has 2 options : 1) DTS and 2) DTS >PCM

I had it set to dolby digital > pcm and dts>pcm

Should I change it?

I also have the "auto" function enabled on the recevier

Ok, thats your problem. You have everything set to PCM on your player. Change it to the other option. The optical wire can only handle 2 channels of PCM, your receiver is then applying ProLogic. Switch it to Bitstream(The other option) on your player and everything will be fine!

· Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamus1099 /forum/post/0

Ok, thats your problem. You have everything set to PCM on your player. Change it to the other option. The optical wire can only handle 2 channels of PCM, your receiver is then applying ProLogic. Switch it to Bitstream(The other option) on your player and everything will be fine!

ah okay awesome, that did the trick. It is showing all 5 channels now, the sound is ALOT better. Thanks alot, saved me hours of time playing with things lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.