AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added 4 Klipsch ceiling (ATMOS application) speakers to my home theater system. My Sony STR-ZA5000ES receiver has Height 1 and Height 2. Height 1 used for Top Front R/L. Height 2 used for Top Rear L/R. If I auto calibrate the audio and only have the 2 front speakers wired into height 1 it calibrates correctly. If I hook up Height 2 for the Top Rear speakers, try to auto calibrate, using TM+TR configuration, I get..... “error code 35, Height 2L/2R speaker pattern configuration does not match calibration result”
(Yes, the left speaker is hooked into the Left side and vise Vera. Triple checked that.)
So I guess the problem is I can’t assign Height 2 to the Top Rear L/R. Even if I go to Speaker Set Up/Manual/Speaker connections it won’t allow me to even select Height 2.

Can someone help me out? I’m completely out of options or ideas. What am I missing?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Are you running a 7.1.4 configuration? Are you using an external amp to connect Height 2

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, 7.1.4 but can only auto calibrate to 7.1.2. Do to the calibration error. I do not have an external amp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So just saw that after I Manually set it to 7.1.4 then go to manual set up, speaker connections, it’s implying I need to use the pre out jacks for Height 2 which only has 2 jacks, 1 Left and 1 Right. I shouldn’t have to use those and the Sony start up guide agrees with that.

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Yea, 7.1.4 but can only auto calibrate to 7.1.2. Do to the calibration error. I do not have an external amp.

You only have 9 amplified channels. 11 processed. You'll need an external 2-channel amp to get 7.1.4 using the pre-outs for those rear heights....

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
So just saw that after I Manually set it to 7.1.4 then go to manual set up, speaker connections, it’s implying I need to use the pre out jacks for Height 2 which only has 2 jacks, 1 Left and 1 Right. I shouldn’t have to use those and the Sony start up guide agrees with that.
The previous poster is right. I own the 5000ES as well. It sounds like you have too many speakers connected at once. The 5000ES is a 9-channel receiver, but can process 11. You'll need an external 2-channel amp to run 11 channels, connected to the pre-out jacks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you so much for the input. You have any recommendations for an external amp that would do a good job and not break the bank? Guess it would only have to power the 2 rear Klipsch SLM 5400-C speakers

2 More quick questions

I can use the standard 16/2 wire that I already fished through all the walls right? Just make sure to get the right jack to wire it?

Also, I assume it’s a bad idea to just run all 4 ceiling speakers off the height 1 input and configure it as 7.1.2. I have a lot of money invested in my theater room so really don’t want to half ass it but thought I’d get your opinion. (Pretty sure I know the answer to that!)

Thanks again, huge help!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Thank you so much for the input. You have any recommendations for an external amp that would do a good job and not break the bank?
I doubt it would take much power to run atmos channels, so a AudioSource AMP102VS should be sufficient

Also, I assume it’s a bad idea to just run all 4 ceiling speakers off the height 1 input and configure it as 7.1.2.

Thanks again, huge help!
Are you intending to run the front Height/atmos channel for both the first row and second row? If yes, then I don't see a problem with that. Just make sure your avr can support the particular load you would be presenting the amp section.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wasn’t my intention to run front and rear Atmos on just the the front height 1 inputs. Only if I have to.

Going to look for an external amp to run all 4 Atmos speakers. (More suggestions welcome!) That way if I decide to add another sub for a 7.2.4 system there won’t be an issue with my receiver. That’s a logical way to go about it right?

Can I use my 16/2 wire and just put a jack on the end of it In order to use the pre out jack inputs?

As always, thanks!

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
Wasn’t my intention to run front and rear Atmos on just the the front height 1 inputs. Only if I have to.

As always, thanks!
No, that's not what I asked. You can run front heights/atmos (7.2.2) for your first and second row. Actually, if you have enough ceiling space and amplification, you can run Front and Rear Heights/Atmos (7.2.4) for both first and second rows of seating. Anyhoot, purchase you an amp and you'll be able to run 7.2.4:)

·
Premium Member
6,818 Posts
Going to look for an external amp to run all 4 Atmos speakers. (More suggestions welcome!) That way if I decide to add another sub for a 7.2.4 system there won’t be an issue with my receiver. That’s a logical way to go about it right?

Not sure I follow.....the external amp/Atmos speakers are not relevant to the subs from a connectivity standpoint. You've got two sub output jacks already on the receiver, you should be good to go! :)

Can I use my 16/2 wire and just put a jack on the end of it In order to use the pre out jack inputs?
Nope. The pre-outs connect the receiver to the amp with a RCA cable, then you use the 16/2 with bananas plugs, or perhaps bare wire to connect to the Left and Right terminals for either speaker. That or I am totally misunderstanding what you're saying....:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts