AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a NAD M15 and can't figure out how to get it to produce Dolby 5.1. Dolby 2.0 comes out fine, but I can't hear sound from the surround speakers in 5.1. The two fronts and center work with 5.1.

I have just two surrounds and have tried different settings through the OSD for them -- trying different combinations of setting surrounds, and surround rears, including turning them off. I've tried setting the THX to auto and off, still no luck.

The first DVD I've tried is "The Illusionist". This disc has a Dolby 2.0 track on the introductory screen, and plays fine. Starting the film switches it to 5.1, and the surrounds haven't uttered a peep.

I looked at the instruction manual, and though it is written in many languages, the English part isn't much help. The troubleshooting section includes a few suggestions for no sound from surrounds, including adjusting the volume through OSD. I've given them a small bump up, but I don't see why they should be at any higher level than the fronts and center to hear something.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
573 Posts
On a positive note, the Illusionist was a pretty good movie. Sorry I can't help ya with the M15.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Be sure your DVD player is set to output digital bitstream rather than PCM, if you haven't already. And if the M15 is 7.1 and you only have 5.1, maybe the rears are set to the speakers you don't have set up, this happened to me. Had to turn the extra 2 surround channels to 'no' in order to get proper rear speaker output...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I had forgotten the bit about the DVD player, but it was set to digital out anyway. After playing around some more with the OSD speaker volume settings and distances, I can hear some music and effects from the surrounds. It seems like less sound than I am accustomed to with Dolby 2.0; this is my first experience with more advanced 5.1. I'll keep experimenting. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.