AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some new speakers to complement my wall-mounted plasma (65" Panny) in the room pictured. Room is 13' across (the wall that holds the plasma) by 22' long. Distance from TV to new couch (coming soon) facing dead center to TV will be 13'. There's also the issue of a high ceiling which slopes up at a 30 degree angle from its lowest to highest point. Not sure if this is going to screw up acoustics or not. I'm not really an "audiophile" so I'm not sure I know how to tell if acoustics are screwed up by angled ceiling. I'm tentatively going to place the receiver and set-top boxes on top of the small table under TV.

Here's my wishlist:

1) Front speakers: left/center/right - easiest would probably be floor-standers, but I could go for on-wall or in-wall as well. Trouble is this is a townhouse and on the other side of the wall the TV is on, is my neighbor. Good insulation between units and we never hear each other, but I'm still thinking a speaker being decoupled from the wall might be better for being able to crank sound.

2) Sub. Besides make/model, I'd have no idea how to figure out the 'optimal' position for it, and don't know the name of the service I'd need to call to analyze room and help me with it.

3) Would like 2 sides in addition to the 2 rears and I'm thinking in-wall for those, but I could settle for just 2 rears. Trouble is not sure how to run the wire, except brute force: drilling holes through the walls with my 6' drill bit (intended to pull cables) and/or opening drywall. Are there any new installer tricks these days for dealing with in-wall wiring?

4) Need a receiver with minimum 4 HDMI inputs and full support for uncompressed HD audio over HDMI (DD True HD, DTS-HD, HDMI v1.3a) and a decent 1080p scaler chip.

My total budget is probably $5000, but its a rough budget that could go higher if there seems to be tangible value in products above the price range.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Can you give budget, room size, etc. I have spent many hours researching this very thing for my room and would be happy to share what I have found -- but budget is the key factor in my telling you what I have learned (because my budget has increased with the more I have learned.
)

Thanks,

Brian

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Yes, give us your total budget for HT gear. If you have 2k + to spend, I'd forget about the soundbar, unless their form factor appeals to you and is of higher importance than sound quality.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwien /forum/post/14192162

Sound bars are NOT junk. They fulfill a very specific need, and for that need, they perform quite well.

Good point, though the OP has yet to quantify what his needs are.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'd maybe suggest if you're trying to go for saving area with speakers. JBL's Studio L series has a few different options including speakers that hang on your wall to floorstanding speakers. I'm not sure what Infinity has that's compairable to these but they look to be pretty good quality.

This is from JBL's site:

The Onkyo TX-SR606 has what you're looking for in a receiver. 4 HDMI ports, upconverts signals to 1080P.

The rear speakers looking by how you have it set up with that couch you would need to run the wires along the side of the couch and bring them out around where you need to place the speakers behind you. I think a pair of JBL CST55s would work.

I believe you can purchase all of these at bhphotovideo.com... they usually have the lowest prices and free shipping.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/catego...rtainment.html

Hope that can be of some assistance. Keep us updated with some pics!

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Tom thanks for the quick response. I've heard good things about the Onkyo SR606 but I think I'd rather wait for their higher-end models in the series ending in "6" to come out since they seem right around the corner based on other threads. I'm assuming the SR606 isn't going to have the Reon chip for scaling but not sure how much of a diff it makes anyway. I don't want to go too cheap on a receiver since the more power the better obviously even at lower volumes.

For some reason I keep coming back to the idea of floorstanders for the Left-Front/Right-Front and a wall-mounted Center-Front. I guess I need to find an on-wall speaker that's somewhere near the elegance of a floor-stander.

Rather than have floor standers directly behind the couch along with wires running, I keep going back to the idea of wall-mounting the Left-Rear and Right-Rear to the left and right walls, about 8 feet up and angled down facing the couch. I'm willing to put the drywall work in (ugh) to maintain a custom-built appearance.

anyway thanks for the ideas.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Here is your receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR905...900488&sr=1-18

Full compliment of HD Audio processing and the HQV REON chip.

For the speakers, take a look at Aperion Audio. 6T's, 6C and 5B's, the Piano Black finish will be very striking in that all white room and the sound reviews are very good.

Sub: AV123 MFW 15 or Epik Caliber

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioMike /forum/post/14196062

Here is your receiver:
http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR905...900488&sr=1-18

Full compliment of HD Audio processing and the HQV REON chip.

For the speakers, take a look at Aperion Audio. 6T's, 6C and 5B's, the Piano Black finish will be very striking in that all white room and the sound reviews are very good.

Sub: AV123 MFW 15 or Epik Caliber

Great receiver, but I think I'm going to wait for the highest-end x06 that Onkyo comes out with in the next months (the successor to the NR905).

Those speakers are nice but a bit bulky. I think I want some narrow width but tall floorstanders.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts