AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm a long time viewer but just finally joined the forums.

I am in the process of buying a home and cannot decide on the design of my new family room, with regards to the AV setup. I have included pictures and here is all the equipment I would like to mount (kind of boring, I know):

60" or 65" LED TV
Energy Soundbar below it
CableBox
Xbox One w/ Kinect
Apple TV

THE ROOM: Has a brick fireplace on the right and the left side has an brick accent wall with an extended ledge on the lower half. One-third of this ledge area (left side) has a hollow area for wood storage (there are currently black cushions on top of this in the picture). The ledge sticks out approximately 18 inches. To the left of the brick wall, there is about a 3 1/2' area of drywall before you reach the sliding door. The first 3 pictures show the space.

THE INSTALL: I want to mount the TV on the brick wall, next to the fireplace (see picture). I will be placing the TV in the center of the wall (where the framed picture is) and the soundbar below it. I plan on removing one single brick behind the TV to run the wiring. I only can see 3 options for mounting the cable box / Xbox/ Apple TV and here is my dilemma.

---Option 1 and picture 4: It is hard to explain this but I drew it out. The drawings are not to scale but do have nearly the exact number and layout of bricks on the wall. I want to remove an area of the brick and build a wooden shelf within that space. On the top would be a an attached wood mantle across the entire ledge. It would be difficult to cut that out of the brick but I could drop the wiring right down from the TV and be able to pick it in the back of the hole I created.

--Option 2 and picture 5: Same as option 1 but use the already existing hole for the firewood and just remove the bricks from the front side of the cavity. I would build a wood cabinet in the space and do the same as option 1. It would be easier but not by much.

--Option 3 and picture 6: Go the easy route and just put the cable and Xbox in either an entertainment center to the left of the wall or place the on upper wall shelving. My only issue with this is the Xbox One Kinect cable is only 9 feet and they do not make an extension. This would by far be the easiest of the 3 but not look quite as nice.

Those are my options and I am open to other suggestions. I just don't know if that shelf/cabinet would look good in there. I really couldn't turn back after I removed and cut the bricks

I have limited pictures because we haven't closed on the house yet. I know this is kind of hard to imagine but ask me any questions if you have them. Any help is GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks,

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would choose #2 , as it seems ready made and less messy than #1 . It's also closer to existing outlets than #1 that you might want to tie into to create another outlet. The issue for me would be what's behind the exposed brick so that cables can be run behind it.

·
Premium Member
17,088 Posts
My only issue with this is the Xbox One Kinect cable is only 9 feet and they do not make an extension. This would by far be the easiest

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/141-xbox-area/1498930-xbox-one-kinect-extender-20.html#post29174394
CONFIRMED - THE TRIPP LITE ACTIVE 25FT USB 3.0 CABLE works with the KINECT WINDOWS adapter into XBOX ONE! Which is good for 25ft + 9FT on the Kinect itself - if 34ft is a long enough run this is a great combo!

ONCE AGAIN: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IOXVWL6/

No A/C power required for this cable, either - and it was designed not to need a/c power - which makes the safest bet yet IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for this. I was unable to find a solution. This at least gives me an option to remote mount my boxes, although I would rather not do that.

Hopefully everyone understands what I mean with my ideas. I just want to know if they think that would look good or even be possible. I cannot find a picture of anything similar.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.