AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,


I am having issues with a new subwoofer I purchased. I'm assuming I'm supposed to hear a little more bass than I currently am (I don't feel anything coming out of the bass during actual music/HT and don't feel any air coming out of the back chamber).


I have a Yamaha RX-V573 receiver. When I purchased my Polk front and center speakers, I could just use the YPAO and have it automatically get things setup. I just got a Rythmik LV12R (it's their newer version of the FV12). It's plugged in power wise of couse, running the LFE cable from it to the only subwoofer port on the Yamaha's back.


When I ran the YPAO the first time, I had to change from auto detect for powering to always on, because it didn't even detect it. Now, it does detect it, but barely any bass comes out of it. Is this normal? Even if I crank the volume all the way to the max, it's not sounding like it gives much bass output. Heck, my Onkyo 200 dollar HTIB back in the day cranked out more than what I'm detecting and from the reviews I've read on this SW, it should be pretty darn good for the amount spent.


Any recommendations on what to fix/tweak? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts
Rerun YPAO with sub volume at 1/2 and post your AVR settings. Crossover, sub volume, sub distance, etc.

Are all your speakers set to small?

What other speakers do you have?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had the gain on the sub set to 1/2 per the instructions that came with the subwoofer when I originally ran the YPAO. When it completed it, it detected the sub just at a faint level. When looking at settings after unplugging the YPAO mic, I noticed the sub on the AVR, had its volume set at -10db. The fronts and centers were still set to Large (it always set it to this) and the crossover was set to 40hz. The volume on the sub was set to -10db while the fronts/center were around +3db.


I did notice if I cranked the volume on the receiver for the sub to +10db, set the speakers to small, and changed the crossover to 80 (which the Rythmik manual said to do prior to running YPAO), I could definitely notice it more. The thing with the YPAO is I figured it just overrides these manual settings, so not sure why it's not picking it up right and I'm having to manually mess with it (nor do I know what I should be setting some of this stuff to, sorry - I'm a bit of a noob with this all).


In the manual it says


Crossover


Sets the lower limit of the low-frequency

components that can be output from a speaker

whose size is set to “Small”. A frequency

sound lower than the specified value will be

produced from the subwoofer or front speakers


If I set the speakers to small does that mean only the bass that is higher than the crossover amount will get sent to those speakers? The speakers are the Polk RTiA series (RtiA3's for the fronts, and the CSiA6 for the center).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261271


I had the gain on the sub set to 1/2 per the instructions that came with the subwoofer when I originally ran the YPAO. When it completed it, it detected the sub just at a faint level. When looking at settings after unplugging the YPAO mic, I noticed the sub on the AVR, had its volume set at -10db. The fronts and centers were still set to Large (it always set it to this) and the crossover was set to 40hz. The volume on the sub was set to -10db while the fronts/center were around +3db.


I did notice if I cranked the volume on the receiver for the sub to +10db, set the speakers to small, and changed the crossover to 80 (which the Rythmik manual said to do prior to running YPAO), I could definitely notice it more. The thing with the YPAO is I figured it just overrides these manual settings, so not sure why it's not picking it up right and I'm having to manually mess with it (nor do I know what I should be setting some of this stuff to, sorry - I'm a bit of a noob with this all).


In the manual it says


Crossover


Sets the lower limit of the low-frequency

components that can be output from a speaker

whose size is set to “Small”. A frequency

sound lower than the specified value will be

produced from the subwoofer or front speakers


If I set the speakers to small does that mean only the bass that is higher than the crossover amount will get sent to those speakers? The speakers are the Polk RTiA series (RtiA3's for the fronts, and the CSiA6 for the center).
Yes, that is correct. Only the frequencies above the crossover will be sent to the speakers.

The avr sub volume only goes down to -10 so you could be at -25. Turn the sub volume down and rerun YPAO until the avr sub volume is close to 0 and report.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts
Turn the gain (volume) on the sub to 1/3 instead of 1/2 then rerun ypao...you want it to set the sub closer to zero, probably +/- 5 would be a good range to aim at for the avr trim on the sub after running ypao, at -10 it indicates your gain is still too high. I usually set my subs at 1/4 to 1/3 to start, 1/2 is usually overkill. Set your speakers to small and set the crossover to 60 instead of 40 after running ypao. Now report on the bass. Experiment with the sub crossed at 80 (THX recommended).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
Lower the gain on the sub and rerun ypao. The -10db reading from ypao means the sub was too loud. You want the reading to be close to 0db. Do set your speakers to small, crossover usually at 80hz. This will route everything below 80hz to the sub and above 80hz to your speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to +7. Keep lowering it? Any lower and it's pretty much at the minimum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261322


Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to -10. Keep lowering it?
Yes. Dont worry about anything else until you get close to 0.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,519 Posts
I would have thought that by 1/4 you'd be getting closer to 0db, but yah, turn it down more. I just set up a new sub with my a720. I ended up only using ypao to adjust the gain on my sub and for distances. Once I had those meaurements I went to manual setup and plugged in those settings. Do the same. Use it to adjust your sub gain and distances the go to manual, set your speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, and the distances. You might see ypao give you a funny distance for the sub, but use it .
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261322


Okay, so I set the gain to 1/4 the AVR to 80hz, speakers to small. It automatically sets the speakers back to Large, the crossover to 40hz and the sub to +7. Keep lowering it? Any lower and it's pretty much at the minimum.

Change the crossover and speakers to small AFTER running YPAO and then start listening. With the gain at 1/3 where what was the trim level in the avr for the sub?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts
Im off to bed. Once you get close to 0 the leave the sub alone.

Set the avr xover to 80, ALL speakers to small. Adjust the sub volume according to taste IN THE AVR ONLY?

Report your results and I will check back tomorrow.

Good luck.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crn3371  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261347


I would have thought that by 1/4 you'd be getting closer to 0db, but yah, turn it down more. I just set up a new sub with my a720. I ended up only using ypao to adjust the gain on my sub and for distances. Once I had those meaurements I went to manual setup and plugged in those settings. Do the same. Use it to adjust your sub gain and distances the go to manual, set your speakers to small, crossover at 80hz, and the distances. You might see ypao give you a funny distance for the sub, but use it .

At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261362


Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.

Cool now set the crossover to 60 or 80 and the speakers all to small and start listening and report...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261361


At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
He edited the post from -10 to +7 after I responded.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
16,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261367

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinthehd  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261361


At +7 he actually needs to turn the gain up a bit from 1/4, thus my suggestion for 1/3
He edited the post from -10 to +7 after I responded.

I thought that wasn't even reported initially then read again and saw plus7 and edited my own
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstrasz  /t/1470641/need-help-with-newly-purchased-subwoofer#post_23261362


Okay, so the lower I set the gain, the more I ran into issues. It kept trying to keep it at +10db for the sub. If I went too low it wouldn't detect it and threw up an error at the end of the calibration. However, I set the gain back to half on the sub, and now the settings it acquired are +1.5db for the front l/r, -2.5 for the center, and +1.0 for the sub. It set the crossover to 40hz again and the speakers to large.
The other speaker volumes are irrelevant at this,point.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top