AVS Forum banner

Need help with Omnimount speaker mounts

937 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  dloftis 
#1 ·
Good evening, everyone...

I have a bunch of the 30.0 series Omnimount Pro's upstairs, waiting to be used. They're the ST-MP and STX-MP type.

Here's where I'm lost. I've got the mounting plate and ballshaft mounted (very securely) to the wall. I've got the clamping plate/assembly very nicely attached to the speaker.

I have speaker wire run through the mounting plate, ball shaft, and hanging out the end of the ball.

Problem: there's ZERO clearance for the wire to leave the assembly once the clamping assembly is on the ball. I can't find any way to get the wire out to the speaker's terminals.

Am I stupid? Can this be done? Or is the idea that the terminals would be under the clamping assembly?

#2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dloftis /forum/post/0

Good evening, everyone...

I have a bunch of the 30.0 series Omnimount Pro's upstairs, waiting to be used. They're the ST-MP and STX-MP type.

Here's where I'm lost. I've got the mounting plate and ballshaft mounted (very securely) to the wall. I've got the clamping plate/assembly very nicely attached to the speaker.

I have speaker wire run through the mounting plate, ball shaft, and hanging out the end of the ball.

Problem: there's ZERO clearance for the wire to leave the assembly once the clamping assembly is on the ball. I can't find any way to get the wire out to the speaker's terminals.

Am I stupid? Can this be done? Or is the idea that the terminals would be under the clamping assembly?

The Omnimount bracket isn't designed to have the speaker wire run thru the mount. The speaker wire needs to be run thru it's own opening in your wall. The clamping plate should be mounted onto the speaker in such a way that the speaker connectors are accessible with the plate mounted on the speaker. Also, be careful when you put the plate on the speaker that you don't drill thru the crossover which is often mounted behind the speaker connector. Yes, I had a customer do this one time. This is one reason I like Klipsch...they have Omnimount ports built into most of their speakers now. Makes life easy.

#3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundood /forum/post/0

The Omnimount bracket isn't designed to have the speaker wire run thru the mount. The speaker wire needs to be run thru it's own opening in your wall. The clamping plate should be mounted onto the speaker in such a way that the speaker connectors are accessible with the plate mounted on the speaker. Also, be careful when you put the plate on the speaker that you don't drill thru the crossover which is often mounted behind the speaker connector. Yes, I had a customer do this one time. This is one reason I like Klipsch...they have Omnimount ports built into most of their speakers now. Makes life easy.

My M&K's have threaded inserts...

Why, if the wire isn't meant to go through them, is there ball shaft hollow, and the ball bored through?

And why would this omnimount document specifically mention it on page 2... the "invisible wiring feature"? Link

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.