AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi AVS Forum Members,

I am a newbie and need your help with answering two questions. The Operating Instructions for the Panasonic DMR-ES35V are quite confusing...even for me. It or the Panasonic website don't seem to have answers to my questions.

My first question is where can I change the recording option to the XP speed? One of the cons that I've seen is that the speed isn't displayed when recording. I think it has defaulted to the SP speed (which records up to 2 hours). The type of discs I am using are Maxell DVD-R.

The other question is how can I break up the titles? Hypothetically, say I record five different interviews off the TV or DVR. How can I create a title for each interview so that it looks like the scene selections from a movie dvd.

ANY info would be helpful. Thanks for having this forum!

Z

· Registered
2,606 Posts
I don't have an ES35V but from a Quick look at the Owners Manual the Recording Modes (Speeds) are in the display on the front of the unit & are located on the top row on the Left Hand Side of the display (XP SP LP & Etc).

To change the Recording Modes (Speeds) just press the button on the bottom of the remote labeled "REC MODE" (Mode Changes With Each Press Of The Button).

As for displaing the Recording Modes (Speeds) & other info On-Screen just press the Buttons labeled "STATUS" or "DISPLAY" (Just keep pressing them to turn them

ON/Off & also for more info).

As for breaking up "Titles" (Programs) into what you see on Store Bought DVDs they would be called "Chapters" & on Panny's the only way you can select Your Own "Chapters" in a Title (Program) is when using a RAM disc.

On all the other type of discs when you "Finalize" them to play on other DVD Players the "Chapters" will be automatically created about every 5 Minutes apart on the disc.

These "Chapters" though, Will Not Have Thumbnail Pictures though & they do not show anywhere on the disc but when you press the Skip Forward/Backward buttons they will jump to the "Chapters."

They are really just like "Index" marks are on Video Tapes, they don't show but they are there.

CHECK YOUR OWNERS MANUAL FOR:

RECORD MODE DISPLAY (Front Of Unit) - Page 12

RECORD MODE BUTTON - Pages 23 & 28

F. REC (Flexible Recording) BUTTON - Page 27

STATUS BUTTON - Pages 35 & 37

DISPLAY BUTTON - Page 36

CREATING CHAPTERS - Page 31

The other thing that might help you understand your new Panny is that when you are Recording Everytime You Press the "Stop" button you are creating a "TITLE" (Program).

Good Luck & I hope you enjoy your new Panny.

· Registered
6 Posts
Good tips Bill ...thanks also ...so appears you seem to be a bit of a techno guy, so just wondering if you had any ideas regarding this prob? ...I'm having extreme difficulty copying these dvd-r's produced by the DMR-ES35V

system, i don't know how the Panasonic recorder formats the discs but i have tried repeatedly (using nero 6) to either burn as an image file or copy on the fly, and always get the same error report:

>

! 5:14:45 PM Burn Process Started at 4x (5,520 KB/s)

x 5:23:20 PM 5 - DVD-ROM

Cannot write track at correct position with this recorder

- 5:23:20 PM Invalid field command

x 5:23:20 PM Could not perform fixation

- 5:23:20 PM Invalid field command

x 5:23:20 PM Could not perform fixation

x 5:23:20 PM Burn Process failed at 4x (5,520 KB/s)

>

This is my second dvd writer (samsung - writemaster & LG 20x Lightscribe) to produce these kinds of error messages (other error message was: could not find start command) when using 'ONLY' the Panasonic copied discs ...all other dvds copy without problem ...so just wondering if you/anyone can shed some light on this for us?
...many thanks!

· Registered
4,530 Posts
ZBZ,

When you are recording and press STOP that will conclude that title. When you press REC a new title will begin. When you go to the FUNCTIONS, DVD MANAGEMENT menu to finalize the DVD there are three boxes shown. The middle box is "Playback will start with:" Select "Top Menu." Once that default is set and a DVD has been finalized all subsequently finalized DVDs will display the thumbnail index when inserted in any player or recorder. (The other option will autoplay the first title of the DVD upon insertion.)

During the finalization process "chapters" are inserted every five minutes or so. You may move from chapter to chapter with the SKIP/INDEX buttons on the remote. There are no thumbnails for chapters. Thumbnails are displayed only for titles.

MickeyMike,

I address the copying problem in the other thread you started.

· Registered
102 Posts
Mickymike, I made a many, many recordings of my camcorder videos to DVD using my Panasonic ES40VS. I used the XP speed. What I noticed is that if I record very close to the the full hour, I find that I cannot make duplicates using my computer. However, if I make a recording with about five minutes left, then I have no problems. The same thing happened when I recorded a TV program using up nearly all two hours using the SP mode.

My solution: I record only up to 55 minutes with my camcorder. I could use the Flex recording mode and time it for 65 minutes and so that I have blank space left over if I have a full hour to transfer.

For TV recordings, I bought a new Philips 3505 to make things easier.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.