AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Panasonic TU-DST50 HDTV receiver from another forum member, with the understanding that the remote did not work. I've done some experimenting, and here are my questions:

1) The remote that I received with the unit is for the TU-HDS20 (telltale DirecTV logo, P/N EUR511159 instead of EUR511154). The two remotes appear nearly identical. Should the HDS20 remote work with my DST50?

2) The remote I have does not operate _anything_, not the DST50, my JVC VCR, Tosh HDTV, nor Samsung DVD. The backlight works and flashes as expected during programming, but none of the codes listed in the manual seem to work. What could be wrong?

3) None of my other remotes will power up the DST50 -- the face of the DST50 is a bit loose (open box from Circuit City) -- is it possible the IR receiver is damaged? If so, why doesn't the remote operate my other components?

4) Is there any way to select aspect ratio without a remote? This seems to be the only function not accessible via the faceplate controls.

The seller will refund me if need be and return the unit, but frankly I can't afford anything else right now, and all the CBS prime-time shows premiere next week http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif .

Any ideas before I buy another $50 remote that may not help me? Does anyone have a Panasonic Tech Support contact?

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
i bought the same thing but with out a remote from circuit city. what i did is i found a store with a remote for the decoder and took my learning remote and programmed the aspect button and other commands. it is working fine. the aspect button only works for when the decoder is displaying 480p stuff. it defaults to stretch evenly all across the screen. you can just put your tv in 4:3 view and it appears normal. or you'll be able to use the decoder stretch mode for the sides,... but it is inferior to my mitsubishi stretch mode. also the panasonic downconverts abc 720p to 480p.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah, the learning remote--I'm going to have to get one of those one of these days to replace the five remotes I now must use, each of which is needed for obscure functions of each unit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PROBLEM RESOLVED thanks to help from Panasonic:

I first contacted Panasonic via their 800 number, and they told me to reset the remote by removing the batteries, and then pressing all the buttons. No success. BTW, I later learned that Panasonic has a special number, 888-843-9788, for DTV that goes directly to their most knowledgable techs. (It wasn't on their Web site, but was printed in the manual and on a sticker on the back of my unit--Doh!)

Fortunately, I was then contacted by a forum member who is a DTV engineer at Panasonic. He uses all the excellent avsforum feedback (on Panasonic and other products) as input to R&D for upcoming product features. In return, he helps out forum members when he can.

This HDTV angel was located near me, and had a DST50 with remote to use for testing.

So with his help, my problem is solved. Here're the results:

Bottom line: though nearly identical in appearance, the DST50 and HDS20 remotes are _not_ interchangeable, as many changes were made while incorporating DSS/DirecTV into the functionality of the STB. With my angel's help, I obtained the correct remote, and now everything works great, including the aspect ratio control. He also verified that I had the latest software and hardware mods to my unit.

Though I won't mention him by name, he does actively monitor the forum posts. If you have a Panasonic-related problem, post it, and you'll probably hear from him if he can help.

I came away impressed with Panasonic's products, their commitment to HDTV, and the terrific community embodied by this forum.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You really lucked out!

I had a similiar problem when I purchased a CT-34WDM60 from the Panasonic outlet in CT a few months ago. They couldn't find the remote - so they gave me one from the newer 50 model. I couldn't access all of the menu features with it. I ended up bugging the store for almost a month to find me the remote. I then called the national parts number (they were very helpful), finding that the correct remote was in stock and then calling the Manager up and telling him he was BS. I finally got the remote Fedex overnight.

If I may ask - what did you pick the Panasonic TU-DST50 up for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I bought the unit for $250. Again, it was a Circuit City open box purchase by the guy I bought it from. He is in Indiana, and if the price tag that was with the manual is correct, he paid $180 for it, with a non-working remote, a missing face panel right side door, and a crack on the right edge of the face panel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.