AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I don't know which section this topic should go under so I am posting it here. I have a full HD TV and a new PC that has a HD video card and a HDMI output. My question is if I can use a HDMI/DVI adapter to DVI-HDMI cable without losing the HD quality?

Sample:

[PC with HDMI output]----[HDMI/DVI adapter]----[DVI/HDMI cable]----[HDTV]

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Which tv did you buy? If you don't have the manual, they can be found the manufacturer's webpage. You'll need to use their specified resolutions for pc and hdtv. Why are you using a DVI/HDMI adapter? Why not a hdmi to hdmi connection between the pc and hdtv? Does your pc send audio on the hdmi cable or will you need a separate audio connection?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/19609811

Which tv did you buy? If you don't have the manual, they can be found the manufacturer's webpage. You'll need to use their specified resolutions for pc and hdtv. Why are you using a DVI/HDMI adapter? Why not a hdmi to hdmi connection between the pc and hdtv? Does your pc send audio on the hdmi cable or will you need a separate audio connection?

Sorry I just did some research and found out the both HDMI and DVI and even VGA supports full HD... I thought only HDMI would supoorts it, I was wrong... and I didn't want to do the wiring again.

So will there be a difference if I connect my PC to HDTV with hdmi/hdmi or dvi/hdmi?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
hdmi to hdmi is the best, and carries audio with it. Hdmi to dvi should be the same picture quality, but you will have to run audio separatly. I would use vga only as a last resort.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
It is my understanding that dvi cables only carry video while hdmi carries both audio and video. Using a dvi/hdmi adapter means you need another way to get audio to your tv (unless you're fine with computer speakers for audio).

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet /forum/post/19609928

hdmi to hdmi is the best, and carries audio with it. Hdmi to dvi should be the same picture quality, but you will have to run audio separatly. I would use vga only as a last resort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRick /forum/post/19609939

It is my understanding that dvi cables only carry video while hdmi carries both audio and video. Using a dvi/hdmi adapter means you need another way to get audio to your tv (unless you're fine with computer speakers for audio).

If I go with DVI-HDMi, and use a headphone alike plug (called something jack?) and connect the sound to my receiver and still get 5.1 sound?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
No, you can use a 3.5mm male to rca male cable, but you will only get stereo sound. The only way to get 5.1 is to use the hdmi connection directly to the receiver, or get an optical output sound card for your computer and use an optical cable.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a geforce GTS220 (or 230 I forget). I was surprised to find out that using a DVI->HDMI adapter it output 1080p and Sound?! I didn't think DVI did sound, but it does.

To be clear, the video card does have HDMI as well, but for some reason I only get picture/sound with the DVI connector.

That hdmi goes straight to my TV, for surround sound I have an optical audio cable from the PC to the AV receiver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My vizio is having a hard time connecting to my PC. Its not getting a signal VIA HDMI/DVI but is through RBG/VGA. The problem is that when using VGA the signal flickers in and out... not to mention you lose a bunch of picture control.

Anyone know how to get the television to recognize the DVI/HDMI cable?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know my best choice is to have a HDMI-HDMI and connect it from my computer to te receiver but my receiver does not support HDMI And it only has 1 toslink/optical input and it's used for PS3 already.

But I do have S/PDIF Jack in the back of my computer and I don't know if I can use that to get real 5.1 surround sound.

I guess I'll update my receiver to one that supports HDMI soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts