AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having the same problem that audiogeek had in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1211148


Are the analog audio jacks on the rear panel of the PC "in" or "out"?


The user's guide doesn't say much about the rear panel. I called Geek Squad and they were little help, but said that the those are outputs. I've got nothing with the HDMI out and analog audio out connected to my MMC-1 (no audio over HDMI).


Do I need to get a mini>RCA cable and just plug it into the stereo jack pictured in the Realtek HD audio manager?


I want to play streaming radio (Pandora, Winamp) through my audio gear. I was going to use the PC as a CD/DVD player as well, but audio is much more important. I can pick up a used Oppo player to spin disks.


Any help would be greatly appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18284497


the typical computer audio connectors are "microphone in" (pink), "line in" (blue), and "stereo speaker/headphone or line out" (green). It is the 3.5mm stereo greem "line out" jack you want to use and feed it into the typical red/white RCA inputs on the AUX input of your pre-amp

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Wouldin't you want to use the 'pink' computer connector to go to the red and white RCA connectors. After all, red and white combined will make pink
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thanks guys.


I got all my cables from Monoprice, including a 30' RCA audio to run from the computer to the preamp. Their site is down until next Tuesday, so I'm off to Radio Shack to see what they have, maybe an adapter to get me through until Monoprice goes back online.


There are outs for a center, sub, and rears, whic I may or may not use when I get the rest of the speakers for my setup; http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/4...igurationb.jpg


I'm wondering where I would plug those into the preamp if I used them, to get surround if playing DVD's through the computer. Most of my movies are watched via DTV PPV, so I guess it would just be easier/cheaper to pick up a decent player if I want to spin DVD's in surround later. Main use of the PC is streaming music and sound for my wife's video games (Pogo; basic stuff). I'll use as a CD player for now too, since it has to better than the POS Emerson I have gathering dust in my workroom closet. Yes, I really said "Emerson."



I can see that this HT deal is going to cost me a lot of money over time. I'm already bitching about the inferior SQ on some of my XM channels over the DTV. Why can't the blues station be as sweet as the smooth jazz?!


Man, I thought rifles were an expensive hobby...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,328 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_71 /forum/post/18285550


Okay, thanks guys.

I'm wondering where I would plug those into the preamp if I used them, to get surround if playing DVD's through the computer. Most of my movies are watched via DTV PPV, so I guess it would just be easier/cheaper to pick up a decent player if I want to spin DVD's in surround later.

You would need to have a preamp with analog inputs for 5.1 channel setup.

Quote:
I can see that this HT deal is going to cost me a lot of money over time. I'm already bitching about the inferior SQ on some of my XM channels over the DTV. Why can't the blues station be as sweet as the smooth jazz?!


Man, I thought rifles were an expensive hobby...

Just wait until you get upgrade-itis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,454 Posts
at least all my rifles are worth more than I paid for them, and work as well, or better, than when I acquired them ..... I certainly cannot say that about my electronics !!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Doogie /forum/post/18285576


Just wait until you get upgrade-itis

Whattaya mean, "when?"


Quote:
Originally Posted by m_vanmeter /forum/post/18286004


at least all my rifles are worth more than I paid for them, and work as well, or better, than when I acquired them ..... I certainly cannot say that about my electronics !!!

Mine too, lol. Sakos are always a great investment, though. Went through that upgrade-itis too, though I never felt the need for full-blown custom rigs. But they all wear McMillan stocks, lol.


On the original note, I have audio from my PC!


Sampled a track from Eric Clapton's "100 Guitars" concert and one from Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii. Sounds great. Now my wife is bowling. Sounds like she at the local alley! I wish those guys two lanes down would keep it to a dull roar, lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,809 Posts
Instead of using your computer to play CD's you might consider ripping them all and storing them on your computer. Once you get used to the point and click interface to music you never want to go back to loading and spinning little silver disks. I think smith&wesson (or somebody else) might have invented the original point and click interface, but it works great for music too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknightd /forum/post/18288192


Instead of using your computer to play CD's you might consider ripping them all and storing them on your computer. Once you get used to the point and click interface to music you never want to go back to loading and spinning little silver disks. I think smith&wesson (or somebody else) might have invented the original point and click interface, but it works great for music too

Ha!


LMAO!


I'll have to try that. I'm going on a music hunt this weekend.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top