AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay... not sure if this is the right place for this, if not I apologize. I've been doing some research lately on LCD/Plasma, and while still torn, the fact I'm posting here shows which way I'm currently leaning, here is some information that will hopefully help.

Budget?

$1000-1200

Preferred screen size?

42-50

Viewing distance?

7-15 Feet

Utilization of the TV (e.g. 40% Movies, 30% Gaming, 30% TV)?

60% Gaming, 30% TV, 10% Movies

Are you prone to phosphor trails on plasma display panels (click here)?

Nope.

Will the TV be used as a monitor (via VGA/HDMI/DVI) for browsing the net, word processing, gaming..?

Won't really be using it as a monitor, at least I have no plans on it, however I do game alot on my 360, and plan on getting a PS3.

Will the TV be used to watch High-Definition videos via DLC, HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray?

I'll get a Blu-Ray player wether it be a standalone unit or the PS3 sometime in the next month or two.

How big is the room (optional)?

Not huge, but not sure on exact dimensions.

Is ambient light an issue (big windows / patio doors nearby, etc...)?

Nah, I have blinds in my room so it only gets as light as I want it to get usually.

Do you prefer to buy from an online store or from a local dealer?

Local Dealer is a Must - I hate ordering something like a TV and waiting. Stores near me are Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, Walmart, I live about 10 minutes out of Minneapolis so the works.

List all your current A/V devices and any future purchasers.

XBOX 360, DVD Player, Comcast Cable....

Any additional comments, requests, considerations that you think are important that we should consider?

I really cannot afford to go out of my budget, one thing I am quite torn on is wether to go 720p or 1080p - I'm getting rid of my 48 inch DLP Sammy for this, as honestly the lack of color and oomf (so to speak) of the tv just doesn't do it for me - plus it has a crack in the screen from my idiot friend throwing his wiimote into it (No longer friends with him + no longer own the wii so all good!). Some sites say on anything less than 52-55 you really can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p - and if that really is the case then it makes alot more sense for me to get a bigger TV for the same price than get a smaller one thats 1080p - but something tells me not having 1080p would haunt me due to Blu-Ray, but you guys are the experts so I'm sure you know what's best!

I've been eyeing up the Sony Bravia 40 and 42 inch models, but would prefer 46 if possible, also been looking at a Panasonic 42 inch on Best Buys site that's on sale for $1200 or so. I could probaly stretch it to $1300 or so if there was some must have type deal. All help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, there is one guy on Craigslist who is offering me a 2 month old Panasonic TH-42PX80U for $700 flat - did some reading and it seems the unit got some really nice user reviews from everywhere I could find - but it's only 720p. I just wanted to throw it out there in case that's actually a good set/price.

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
It is a bargain but can be had for that at sears/bb new.

7-15' is a big range.

At 15' you would need more than 50" to see 1080p.

At 7' you will notice a difference.

Sammy 42a450-720p

50a450-720p

50a550(if you look around can be had for ~$1400 total)

Panny 42px80u-720p

46pz80u

46pz85u

50px80u-720p

50pz80u(if you look around can be had for ~$1400 total)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help, I'll go research those quick and see what I find. Well I say 7-15, I would say usually I'm about 9-10, but whenever I move into a new apartment it could be closer to 15 depending on how it ends up setup.

·
Registered
673 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurred_Reality /forum/post/15417965

Oh, there is one guy on Craigslist who is offering me a 2 month old Panasonic TH-42PX80U for $700 flat - did some reading and it seems the unit got some really nice user reviews from everywhere I could find - but it's only 720p. I just wanted to throw it out there in case that's actually a good set/price.

if you aren't doing blu-ray, do you really have to have 1080p? Blu-Ray is about the only way you get actual 1080p, and I don't expect HDTV to move from 1080i to 1080p anytime soon.

720p can do 1080i up conversion, I bet if you look around long enough you can find a 720p model for $600 or less somewhere.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow... 50 inch 1080p for just under $1300 with Free Shipping.... now THAT is quite tempting... I really wanted to avoid buying online as I figure it'll take at least a week to get me the tv... but holy crap is that a good deal. How reliable is that site? I have never heard of them before.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpniner /forum/post/15418140

if you aren't doing blu-ray, do you really have to have 1080p? Blu-Ray is about the only way you get actual 1080p, and I don't expect HDTV to move from 1080i to 1080p anytime soon.

720p can do 1080i up conversion, I bet if you look around long enough you can find a 720p model for $600 or less somewhere.

The TV I have now is 720p - but I'm thinking my view on it is tainted simply because of the lack of quality of the DLP Unit I have. I'm thinking a 720p plasma would look pretty phenomenol, my only real reason for wanting/debating on a 1080p was to kind of futureproof myself for a bit so to speak, and that I know I will have a blu-ray player at some point, it's just one of those, "If under 50 I would have to squint to tell the difference, then what's it matter" kind of deals... I'm torn between the two.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurred_Reality /forum/post/15418253

Wow... 50 inch 1080p for just under $1300 with Free Shipping.... now THAT is quite tempting... I really wanted to avoid buying online as I figure it'll take at least a week to get me the tv... but holy crap is that a good deal. How reliable is that site? I have never heard of them before.

.. reliable online vendor; have bought several audio components thru them w/o any problems; confirm w/ resellerratings.com.

Crutchfield.com, free shipping, 50PX80U (720p).

·
Registered
7,625 Posts
With a 42" panel you would need to be at furthest 6' ideally.(for 1080p)

If you go 42" stick with 720p.

If you go 50" then you have to decide.

Also, BB in store has the 50PZ80u for a little more than 6th ave, but less than crutchfield....that is local and same day.(just another option)

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
A bunch of places have had the 720p Panny 42" PX80 for under $600 & the 50" for under $900 & I've seen the 50" for as low as $798.88 at one store so the guy on Craig's List is way over-priced as far as I'm concerned. If I was you I would jump on the 6th Ave Deal at that price or go with the 720p 50" PX80 for around $900 or lower.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15418324

A bunch of places have had the 720p Panny 42" PX80 for under $600 & the 50" for under $900 & I've seen the 50" for as low as $798.88 at one store so the guy on Craig's List is way over-priced as far as I'm concerned. If I was you I would jump on the 6th Ave Deal at that price or go with the 720p 50" PX80 for around $900 or lower.

Any idea what stores you've seen those prices at? I would love to go take a look at them in store, Best Buy suprisingly seems sold out locally of alot of Plasma TV's, which is suprising considering the economy is crap and everyone is saying how nobody is spending money but obviously some people are!

The stores I have checked online (Namely Walmart and Best Buy) tend to not have a huge stock of Plasma's, Circuit City has some though, maybe I will check there. I'm just not that in sync of what local stores to look at for good deals on tv's.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like there's a few Circuit cities near me with the 50px80u in stock for $999.99 - maybe I could haggle them and get em to knock another $50-100 off the price... Anyone have experience with that set, wondering how it is... keep the great advice coming in though guys it's really appreciated. Most helpful forums around.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The thing that's really tempting about the 50px80u is that if I picked it up for $1000, I could use the $200 in gift cards I have for best buy plus the extra $100 and get a semi-decent speaker setup too, which I lack right now, and I've been told that having a couple of ss speakers help the experience almost as much as the tv itself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel'son /forum/post/15418441

.. although 1080p > ~12-13ft stated as unimportant, you wanted to "future proof" & buy blu-ray in future. Balls in your court, decisions-decisions. maybe a year from now, you'll move it (px80u) to the bedroom & buy a 60"er.

It's possible I would move it into the bedroom at some point and get a 1080p as the prices will just keep coming down... like you said though, decisions, decisions... I'm not a super videophile, so I'm not sure how much of a difference I would even notice the difference. I just want a crisp clean colorful picture, if there's a 10% difference from 10 feet or so, that's not worth it to me, if the picture is 40-50% better on a 1080p - that's a difference that makes it a hell of alot harder.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
^^ .. this may be 'apples to oranges' comparison in some eyes, but i have a 50" Pioneer (720p), sitting from ~12-13ft (20/20 vision) & i enjoy the picture even from that distance. Wish I had gone bigger (58") for same money, but I'm satisfied w/ my set's performance. You have the advantage of purchasing at a very good price for the Panasonic 50px80u, saving a few denaro's & getting all the other A/V stuff you need to complete your HD experience.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.