Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all on the forum.

I have a Pioneer dv-59avi and a Virtuoso HT720 projector purchased through the AVS power buy!

I am having a problem getting the 59avi to use the hdmi connection to the projector. I purchased a Gefen 4 in 1 DVI switch so I could run both my Satilte receiver and the dvd player through the DVI cable to the projector. I purchased a HDMI - DVI cable from better cables as well.

It seems the dvd player does not recognise the projector at all. However I can adjust the dvd players adjustment menus, the hdmi section is grayed out. I have had no problems at all via component video. I even tried to directly connect the dvd player to the projector (ceiling mounted, not an easy task, balancing a $1000 dvd player on top of a ladder!) and the same result.

I should also note I am using the 59avi with a Pioneer 49txi receiver with ilink.

Any sugestions???

I am planning on un plugging the dvd player overnight and try it in the morning.

Just when I thought I had the final piece to my home theater puzzle solved..... a wrench gets thrown into the works.

Thanks in advance,

Glen C.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Glen,

Leave it to me to state the obvious: but when I got my DV59-AVi, it took me a while to realize that there is a setting that needs to be turned on to allow the HDMI to be enabled.

Have you enabled the HDMI?

-jc

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jc,

Thanks for the reply. If I may be so bold, how did you switch on the hdmi? The manual states a menu should pop up when I first hook up the hdmi cable to the display, I doi not get this menu. I am missing something it seems. I must admit I usually look at the manual last"When all else fails etc.".

G

·
23,030 Posts
I almost said the same thing as jc, because the D1 caused the same type of grief for some folks.

But I gave you the benefit of the doubt.

Manuals are "kryptonite" to most males and are usually avoided. :)

larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have the Bravo D1 and have had no problems hooking up through the DVI cable. I did read the manual. Of course it was after I plugged the cables in, turned everything on and received no picture. As I stated before I can received the 59avi's adjustment menus throught the HDMI, just not the dvd picture.

G

·
23,030 Posts
That s*cks G. I noticed that the HT720 is HDCP compliant, so it should not be an issue.

Have you tried powering up the HT720 first and make sure it is set to receive via DVI?

It may take a few seconds or so for the HDCP stuff to sync up and if the 59avi doesn't

"see" it when it powers up, it could produce problems. Also, there are known issues

between different vendor HDCP chips interoperating with others. This may be an ordeal,

but did you try Pioneer support?

larry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larry,

Thanks for the info. I believe you may have hit the nail on the head. I hope not however. If this is the case am I screwed? I am going to contact Pioneer and Immersive to see if I can get this working.

G

·
Registered
864 Posts
Had the same problem. How in the hell will the menu show up if HDMI hasn't been turned on. Simple. Connect 59 to your tv with video RCA cable , turn on HDMI and then disconnect RCA. Jerks at Pioneer Tech Support had no clue so they hung up on me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don,

I can see the menu over the hdmi, I just can not select the HDMI section under Initial setuo section, it is grayed out and I can not make any changes there.

G

·
Registered
93 Posts
Think-Greek

I am having the same problem with my Sim 300HT Link, my video connection is HDMI>DVI, and the HDMI section is grayed out.Did you resolve the problem...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet. I will post any info once I have it. If you figure it out, please post it here.

G

·
Registered
207 Posts
ims, think_geek

any luck yet with hdmi yet? i am considering this dvd player but read on a french forum that the european version of this unit will not work with my benq pe8700. i am wondering if you guys are having the same problem and if i would have the same problem. let us know if you find anything. thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Think-Greek

No luck so far, even the pioneer dealer has no clue, did you contacted pioneer dealer if they can help?

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
I have same components, except Pio plasma vs projector. If the gefen switch is powered (and even switched to another output) it should still work. Assume the Sat receiver i9s working through the switch.

I did not have to make any changes on the 59 to get it to appear, it just auto recognized the connection. Here's the only difference I can think of, I used a Gefen HDMI-DVI cable. When you get it to work, you will be pleasantly happy. I really like the Gefen switch unlike the earlier PC version, it just works for me and keeps connections active with multiple components.

So my only advice is Gefen cable & switch powered up correctly. I'll try to disconnect the plasm to see if it works still but not back for a couple days.

Tim

Tim

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just a guess?

Maybe the 59AVi will only recognize HDMI>HDMI.

I have my 59 running HDMI to my 1110HD with HDMI>HDMI cable no problems.

I see a common thread here:

Everyone that is having problems is using HDMI>DVI.

·
Registered
207 Posts
i am using hdmi to dvi with my benq pe8700 and have no problems. i hooked them up yesterday and the unit automatically detected the projector. the hdmi setup menu came up automatically too. i too use a gefen dvi switch. i see if i can connect the two together without the switch to see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sorry to leave you hangin Think_geek, I haven't been back into this forum area for a while. I had the same issue, it never prompted me to do anything via an on-screen menu because I was behind the screen at the time pluggin stuff in. :) So it disables hdmi, and you have to back-door it back on.

I know this is going to sound hokie, but I read it in another thread (which I cannot find now), gave it a try and SHAZAAM!! --> hdmi to hdmi connectivity:

Here goes

Power 59AVi down. Disconnect *everything* from it. Connect to display via s-video cabling. Power 59AVi up. *edit* Forgot to mention, reset factory default settings per devil's bidding, I mean: instruction manual :) ...THEN -->* Enable hdmi port via menu (which it sounds like you have already found). Power down. Plug in hdmi cabling. Power back up and watch that little blue hdmi indicator light pop on. Enjoy super sharp, all digital images!

That oughta do it for you, as it worked for me. (fyi...I have hdmi -> hdmi from 59AVi to my Elite Pro 1110HD)

Lemme know how that works for you.

-jim

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by bbm3
Just a guess?

Maybe the 59AVi will only recognize HDMI>HDMI.

I have my 59 running HDMI to my 1110HD with HDMI>HDMI cable no problems.

I see a common thread here:

Everyone that is having problems is using HDMI>DVI.
The post just above (mine) showed HDMI-DVI with Geffen Working.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well, for you folks who have the HDMI working with the 59AVi, is it worth it? I have a Pioneer elite DVD player connected to my 1110 HD now & picture is good. Will the 59AVi really show significant improvement?

·
Registered
149 Posts
ims -- I'm getting a sim link also and am tempted to get the Pioneer too. I am curious why you are going HDMI -> DVI? First of all, the DVI is not HDCP on the Link, so I wouldn't expect that to work. Secondly, why not just go HDMI- -> HDMI? thx.

-Tom

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.