Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Well, my first post and I already need some help ;) I bid on (and won) a NEC PJ in Calgary and need to get it sent down my way to Virginia. If anyone has jumped through these hoops before, I would appreciate any feedback you could give (Shipper recommendations, ETC). By the way, will I have to pay duties on this? Thanks in advance!

Ryan

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not sure if this will be much help. I have seen Forward Air mentioned here on the forum from time to time but did not know much about them.

I just had a 500 lb item (not a projector) shipped by them and they

did a good job and at a great price. The down side is they only ship terminal to terminal.. so you might not have one close by. They provide containers or the shipper can provide it. You might check out their

web site and see if they can help. (also my item was not as fragile as a pj)

good luck

wingryder

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
Its going to cost alot, unless you can get Air Canada Cargo shipping to your local international airport. If they can drop it off at the airport crated, its usually about $4.00CAN per kg and figure about 90 kg($360.CAN would be around $200.US I think). Truck freight would likely be more, but you never know. Yellow Freight services the US in the East, I don't know who does it in the West. Air Canada Cargo is a quick service and they don't handle it very much(which is good) but it has to sit at the airport for 36 hours before it will go out(new stupid rule since 9/11). You will have to pay duty since it was MANUFACTURED in Japan, unless you get the shipper to put a value of $199.99 on it, which is below the US limit for duty free. BUT if its damaged, you won't be able to claim more than that amount. You should make sure the receipt is pretty general, and be careful how you desribe it to customs in the US because some computer displays are subject to FDA approval and customs clearance can be denied if you don't have that or can't prove you have it. Keep it really simple for customs, and don't be too specific. Its just a video projector, don't give them any reason to go looking for more reasons to dig deeper, it will only mean more potential trouble. If you clear it yourself, there is usually little problem because you can explain its a used item you bought for use in your own little home theater, but when a broker clears it, everything has to be explained on paper according to strict regulation.

I've sent plenty of pj's stateside, and the ONLY big deal I had was when I got a broker to clear it, HUGE mistake. Keep it simple, underdeclare the value or be ready to pay the 4-6% duty. Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Hi,

Forward Air has a partner here called "same day right away" or "Day and Ross" courier. I have sent PJ's via them to the US before and they were good. They will drop it right at your door. They are the Western Canada agent for Forward Air and have a depot in NE Calgary. The bad news is customs, taxes and duties. Between that and shipping expect your cost to increase 50%. Shipping is around $300.00 US Door to door. Packaging would be extra if required. Clear it from the bonded customs house yourself and save some money.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.