AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 42in. Plasma Monitor. There is no brand name on it, I am certain it is a Panasonic, called them and they said to come here to ask because they are unsure. The only Model # on the back is TH-42D5UX. My question is I want to hook this up to watch with cable/satellite and so on, but can't fiqure out how since I don't know what card slots to buy. I bought one thinking it was for this monitor. Which was an RCA/S-Video composite. But the card does not fit at all. When you remove the face plate to the card slots. Slot one has an angled piece of metal in there and no plug, making really no Slot 1. Slot 2 & 3 both have different size plug-ins. On the back there is also a PC in an Audio (1) in and a Serial. On the rear panel it has a sticker saying Matsushita. I really want to hook this up to be able to watch it without having to use a PC terminal. Can anyone help with this matter or have any solutions before I just chuck it out my window???? THANKS!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
By the way I bought this from an unknown (street) source and have no way of returning it, i have seen it hooked up to a pc and the picture is awesome while watching dvd from that. I got it for $2K. If you can't help me, can you direct me where I should post this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gx35,

no there is no date that i can see. no inputs besides the serial, single audio and pc. I will try to get a picture up tomorrow. I think it is pre-panasonic or a japan version perhaps. Do they get made some where before Panasonic applys their name to it?? it does have speaker terminals on both side on the rear if that helps. no logos. no name brand to be found all black. looks just as if it were a TH-42PHD6UY but without any inputs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
I still have no clue.

The "U" is used on Panasonic Commercial Models for the US Market.

The "Y" = BNC Connectors and the "Z" = RCA connectors.

The "X" is used on European Models. Don't know the meaning.

Still intrigued about this model description. Why no inputs ?!?

It's definitively a Commercial Display because of the speaker terminals.

And it seems to be a "5" series.

I'm still looking for some info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I uploaded three pics of this plasma in my gallery, i sure hope this helps!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thats not the correct monitor, i did buy one of those boards before taking off the metal slot cover, and discovering that only slots 2 & 3 are available and with different connections. So now I am stuck with the composite video modular connection board. So it is for sure not the th42phduy, i agree with Gx35, it has got to be a 5 series but which one?

·
Registered
644 Posts
I took a look on Panasonic's Japanese corporate site as well - could not find any model that corresonded to this. Might be an European/other Asian country industrial model given the inputs on it. You might be stuck with using it as a PC monitor/HTPC monitor since I doubt that you're going to find input boards easily that will attach to it.

Spleen

·
Registered
201 Posts
So you tried a modular board.. I'll be damned if that didn't look exactly like the back panel of your display. After further searching on the web, I've come across nothing that matches that model #. Looks to me like you may have one helluva computer monitor!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yamaklipsch
So you tried a modular board.. I'll be damned if that didn't look exactly like the back panel of your display. After further searching on the web, I've come across nothing that matches that model #. Looks to me like you may have one helluva computer monitor!!!
If this display is really identical to the TH-42PWD5UY the optional cards available for the "6UY" series WON'T FIT. The standard terminal supplied for the "5" series and previous models is wider and takes up all three slots compared to the smaller terminal used on the "6UY" series.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok, thanks Gx35. So, now where do I get these optional cards for the model that I do have???

YES, i do have the remote, looks the same as to the 5UY remote, and I have the power cord, even the batteries in the remote are panasonic.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The TH-42PWD5UY accepts most international video signals, including NTSC, PAL, SECAM and PAL-60. The on-screen menu offers a selection of seven languages with an improved menu structure. Composite and component video inputs appear on BNC connections while PC inputs on a standard 15-pin connector. An S-video input is available on a standard 4-pin din connector.

-- so this is saying that the monitor to which we believe i may have should already have these terminals correct? God, this is all driving me crazy... anyone want this damm thing? I really appreciate the help, dig deeper, lets figure this one out!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by djphat
ok, thanks Gx35. So, now where do I get these optional cards for the model that I do have???

YES, i do have the remote, looks the same as to the 5UY remote, and I have the power cord, even the batteries in the remote are panasonic.
Cool !!!

Let's first check the hours to see if It's new or used :

Hold down the ( - ) minus volume button on the plasma display while it is on and press the status button (The one below the power button) 3 times on the remote control.

The CAT (Computer Aided Test) menu will appear. Using the Down button on the remote go to SD mode and press action (Center button) to access the menu.

On MTBF (Mean Time Between Failure)

WT is how many times the unit was powered on

PT is the cumulative time in hours

To exit each mode, use the return button.

To exit the CATS menu, use the status button.

Note: Pressing the status button again the CAT menu will still appear.

The only way to reset it is to turn the Plasma OFF.

2) Commercial or Consumer???

Well, not a difference in PQ but I'm just curious.

Press the "Picture" buttom on the remote control. On the Picture menu if you see "Advanced Settings" option (rigth below the color temp - which is the last one) then it's a Commercial (Or similar) model. if you don't see it, then it's a Consumer (Or similar) Model.

3) See if input selection is available.

Press input on the remote control.

On the TH-42PWD5UY/PW5UZ "RGB" is the default for the "Component/RGB select - on the "Setup" menu.

If RGB is selected the inputs will change like this:

VIDEO > RGB > PC

If Component is selected:

VIDEO > COMPONENT > PC

·
Registered
380 Posts
Also take a look on the TH42PWD5UY manual and see if the menus/settings are similar to the Display you have.

http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER...TH42PWD5UY.PDF

Quote:
so this is saying that the monitor to which we believe i may have should already have these terminals correct?
With that Model Number ... I doubt it !!!

It "Could be " a special model for a specific market ?!?

Well, I'm just guessing here but... who knows?!?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.