AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a sitting room in my master bedroom and very spontaneously decided this weekend I wanted to throw a projector and screen in there. Since my budget for this was zero dollars with a second kid on the way I needed to keep it as cheap as possible and maybe one day in the future I would slowly upgrade to better equipment but this would be me getting my feet wet with projectors.

I already own a 65VT60 which would still be my main TV for viewing. I ordered a 720p 3D projector, a 92" screen and a ceiling mount. Which I linked below. I also posted a picture of my room. It is 11ft from the front wall to the back wall and the ceiling is 8ft. MY question is, when mounting the projector does it need to be centered with the screen or can it be higher up and angled down. Basically, is there a rule of thumb as to what height I need to mount the projector or if I should shoot for any particular spot. I have absolutely no experience when it comes to projectors.....Appreciate any help, guidance or tips anyone can offer. I would have loved to get a 1080p projector but it was either this or nothing so I chose this for now...

http://www.amazon.com/ViewSonic-PJD5533W-WXGA-Portable-Projector/dp/B00511ITEM/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396230251&sr=1-4&keywords=viewsonic+projector

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00892RUTA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Mustang-SC-M92D16-92-Inch-Manual-Projection/dp/B0018MRK6Q/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1396230220&sr=1-2&keywords=mustang+92+inch+screen

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
You must put a projector completely level and see how much offset it has. The owner's manual likely tells you exactly how much offset the projector has.

Looking at the manual for you right here:

http://www1.viewsonic.com/assets/149/27816.pdf

Page 13 shows the measurements.

With a 92" diagonal (just over 90"), the projector must be between about 137 and 149 inches from the screen and the center of the lens must be about 12.5 inches above the top of the screen.

All measurements are to the center of the lens. I would put the lens about 142" from the screen, and the screen must be 12.5" below the center of the lens, so that's where it goes for best results.

Every projector is different, and while keystone correction is often available, it should not be used if you can avoid it.

That projector would certainly not be my first recommendation for home theater use as Optoma makes a brand new home theater designed projector, but to late for that now.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525089/need-help-with-projector-placement#post_24551357

You must put a projector completely level and see how much offset it has. The owner's manual likely tells you exactly how much offset the projector has.

Looking at the manual for you right here:

http://www1.viewsonic.com/assets/149/27816.pdf

Page 13 shows the measurements.

With a 92" diagonal (just over 90"), the projector must be between about 137 and 149 inches from the screen and the center of the lens must be about 12.5 inches above the top of the screen.

All measurements are to the center of the lens. I would put the lens about 142" from the screen, and the screen must be 12.5" below the center of the lens, so that's where it goes for best results.

Every projector is different, and while keystone correction is often available, it should not be used if you can avoid it.

That projector would certainly not be my first recommendation for home theater use as Optoma makes a brand new home theater designed projector, but to late for that now.
Thanks for that! It looks like the projector I have is actually on page 14 and says between 114 and 126 for a 90". It is showing vertical offset as zero. Does that mean it has to be dead center or can it still be a little higher and tilted down a little?

Can I ask you what Optoma projector you are referring to. It is never to late but I do not want to spend any more money then what this setup has cost.....

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Sorry for the confusion on that. Yes, the offset is written as zero, but really it will be a few inches above your screen because you have a 16:10 projector you intend to use with a 16:9 screen. You will want to be sure the projector works with this setup, which it should. Throw distance should be similar, and offset may be a bit hit or miss since they don't talk about 16:9 projection using that model projector.

This is the model I would typically recommend at very entry level budget:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-H180X.htm

It's a native 16:9 projector designed from the ground up for home theater use form a very reputable manufacturer.

It would go between 10' to 11' with a 92" diagonal screen and center of lens would be 6" above the top of the screen.

Unfortunately, it does cost you more...

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-H180X-Lumen-Theater-Projector/dp/B00F0DI8LK

By ten bucks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You might consider cancelling the order or returning the projector and ordering a different one now that you have more info and a recommendation.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525089/need-help-with-projector-placement#post_24554192

Sorry for the confusion on that. Yes, the offset is written as zero, but really it will be a few inches above your screen because you have a 16:10 projector you intend to use with a 16:9 screen. You will want to be sure the projector works with this setup, which it should. Throw distance should be similar, and offset may be a bit hit or miss since they don't talk about 16:9 projection using that model projector.

This is the model I would typically recommend at very entry level budget:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-H180X.htm

It's a native 16:9 projector designed from the ground up for home theater use form a very reputable manufacturer.

It would go between 10' to 11' with a 92" diagonal screen and center of lens would be 6" above the top of the screen.

Unfortunately, it does cost you more...

http://www.amazon.com/Optoma-H180X-Lumen-Theater-Projector/dp/B00F0DI8LK

By ten bucks.
Cool, since the other projector will be here Wednesday I might just try it out first but can I ask you what makes the one you recommended better? I did read some reviews of people complaining about pixel issues but do you think the actual PQ will be much better? I am not expecting anything great in this price range but I will settle for good if I can.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
I think Viewsonic has far worse build quality and level of engineering with weaker optics than Optoma. The results may not be noticeable at all, but I recommend Optoma first as they are a projection company with years in the projector market specifically. Viewsonic makes all sorts of things, and projectors, especially home theater models are a far more recent activity for them to help boost their bottom line, not serve as a means for their entire company's existence. At the end of the day, I think Optoma cares more, and their products reflect this.

The HD180X is clearly designed for home theater. It does not use some business format DLP chip of 16:10 aspect ratio and try to convince us it is for home theater use (16:9). No, they start with a 16:9 chip and add that model to their lineup of over half a dozen (or more?) home theater projectors on the market. They are deep with home theater, and they produce quality product for the money.

I've seen a few Viewsonic projectors and they've all had relatively poor build quality and several have had resolution and input errors that I had never seen before. Heck, my work provided monitors are Viewsonics which happily don't look as good as the NEC displays that some others in our office have been blessed with.

I'm not planning on purchasing Viewsonic in my life ever, and I'm not going to recommend it to others.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV_Integrated  /t/1525089/need-help-with-projector-placement#post_24556061

I think Viewsonic has far worse build quality and level of engineering with weaker optics than Optoma. The results may not be noticeable at all, but I recommend Optoma first as they are a projection company with years in the projector market specifically. Viewsonic makes all sorts of things, and projectors, especially home theater models are a far more recent activity for them to help boost their bottom line, not serve as a means for their entire company's existence. At the end of the day, I think Optoma cares more, and their products reflect this.

The HD180X is clearly designed for home theater. It does not use some business format DLP chip of 16:10 aspect ratio and try to convince us it is for home theater use (16:9). No, they start with a 16:9 chip and add that model to their lineup of over half a dozen (or more?) home theater projectors on the market. They are deep with home theater, and they produce quality product for the money.

I've seen a few Viewsonic projectors and they've all had relatively poor build quality and several have had resolution and input errors that I had never seen before. Heck, my work provided monitors are Viewsonics which happily don't look as good as the NEC displays that some others in our office have been blessed with.

I'm not planning on purchasing Viewsonic in my life ever, and I'm not going to recommend it to others.
Gotcha...Well I have 30 days to return the projector so will at least give it a try. I actually bought it on NewEgg and paid $414 for it delivered. I used a $25.00 off code and also got free shipping and no tax. With Amazon, I will have to pay tax on top of it so it would bring the price to $480 so while it is still not a lot more, I already spend $414 that I probably shouldn't of have. lol

I thank you for your suggestion and will definitely take it into consideration. Here is to hoping I am not to picky on this but I also said that about TV's when I first started shopping for one and after a bunch of returns I wouldn't settle for anything less then a VT60.

·
Registered
7,072 Posts
Well yeah, none of these are the VT60 or anything close. The JVC RS46 is about the cheapest thing 'close' to that level of image quality, and has the matching price tag of a bit under $3,000. So, you really do need to keep it all in perspective. I mean, you aren't even playing with a 1080p projector at this point.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts