Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all and thank you for your time

I´ve been searching for information about projectors in the internet for the past 4 days, 6 hours/day

But still, finding the definitive home theater projector is very difficult....after hours of searching, looking and learning, two projectors made it to the the final : NEC LT 240 K and SANYO PLV-Z2 (they are at the limit of my budget, which is around 2000$)

Could you please tell me which one of this gets closer to my needs considering the following:

- My living room is 16 ft x 10 ft, and I can set all type of lightning, from total darkness to blinding light, the distance between screen and viewers would be around 15 ft

The main use will be the following 3:

- Watching TV...This would be PAL (I live in Europe, Spain 4:3 in most cases)

- Watching DVDs: 16:9 in most cases, and probably as often as watching TV...(I own a LOEWE XEMIX 6050 DVD which I think the best output signal it has is S-Video, maybe I should change my DVD player?)

- Playing games from my laptop (Samsung X10 Centrino with 11b wi-fi, resolution 1024x768) and viewing my Media Center jukebox in the screen...by the way, I read watching movies with wireless is not yet possible, but how about playing games?

Also, I´ve considered bying the DA-LITE Slimline Electral 43x57 screen....is this a good option for this two projectors?

Thank you very much for your time, and if you can help me, please do so as quick as possible, I´m about to start some wall reconfiguration at my living room and I must first have my projector for wiring purpuses etc... also I´d appreciate answers about my DVD (should I change it?), playing games wirelessly, and about the screen

Again thank you very much

Pantxo

·
Registered
327 Posts
Welcome to the board! BTW, we have a friend from Spain and she and her family happen to be over there now visiting the rest of her family. I think they are near the Med coast, but can't remember the small town's name. Anyway ...

You have 2 major differences, each with their pros and cons, between the 2 PJ's you mention - LT240 vs PLV-Z2.

DLP vs LCD

Native 4:3 vs native 16:9

Can I assume you have done some homework on the 2 different technologies, their unique pros and cons, have seen them for yourself, and are ok with either?

If so, then it is mostly the second issue. You don't mention how much is TV and games vs movies. If the former is a lot of your viewing then you might want the ability to use the full panel of the NEC.

The viewing distance seems rather long in comparison to your prospective screen size (3:1 ratio). You could get away with a much bigger screen and not have a problem with SDE or pixelation. You will probably want to match the screen format (4:3 vs 16:9) to the native res of whichever PJ you pick.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi TimB

thank you very much for your answer and your time reading my boring and long post

I guess I´ll be watching TV and DVD about the same amount, but I prefer better picture quality with the dvds.... The thing is I think I like the NEC better between these two projectors....Do you think the NEC being 4:3 will do a good enough job converting to 16:9?

Considering the screen, I think a bigger one than 43x57 would be too big for my living room....it fits, but it would look too big I think....Since the screen can be stopped at any position, I´ll consider the next bigger size (50x67) to adjust it to 16:9 when watching DVDs (it´s a 4:3 format screen)

About my DVD I´m very pleased with its picture quality, but the best video output it has I think is S-video (Loewe Xelox 5060)...Do you think I should get another DVD?...Which one would you recomend (as cheap as possible)

Also, if I finally get the NEc, which has wireless option, do you know if f I´ll be able to play games from my computer wirelessly?

Again, thanks a lot for your help, and say hi to your spanish friends

Cheers

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.