AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly new to this technical stuff and was hoping someone could help clarify a few things for me re: bi amping I have a Marantz sr 7005 passively bi amped with Vandersteen 3A signatures. I was told that these speakers draw a lot of power and that biamping would help them run more efficient.

Do I understand correctly from what I read in previous post that this type of biamping has little or no benefit?

They are wired with the front l/r to the woofer and the surr/back l/r to the mid/tweeter. Wouldn't this be viewed as using 4 amps since I am using 4 of the 7 amps present?

Is this considered vertical or horizontal configuration?

Is there another way to wire this type of set up?

This is what is says in the operation manual for the 3A sigs

An electronic crossover is not used since the passive crossover in the model 3A cannot be bypassed. Use of an electronic crossover would result in the two crossovers acting in series and would cause severe phase shift and response non-linearities

Does this mean I won't be able to modify the configuration?

This Marantz is a 7.1 receiver my plan was to bi amp the front making it a 5.1 using all 7 channels. I already bought a separate amp to power 2 outdoor speakers. If there is no way to benefit with biamping and I am just wasting 2 channels would it be better to use it as a 7.1 system or go for a more powerful amp ?

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
I owned Vandy 2ce's years ago and I learned very quickly you need a high current 200wpc 4 ohm amp to get the best out of them. 3A's and the Marantz just won't get the best out of the Vandys. I don't know your budget but something like a Parasound Halo A-21 or Marsh A400-S would be good choices. 3A's are great speakers but if you underpower you'll never reach their full potential.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.