AVS Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just connected my 80gb ps3 to my sony bravia 1080p television.

im new to this stuff so please excuse the stupid question.

i connected the ps3 to the television via hdmi cable.

i am using rock band (fun game). the thing is i only get sound and no picture with the hdmi cable alone. it says 480p on the tv. i have to connect those stock colored cables to the tv to get a picture. what do i need to do?

i assume i have to go to the ps3 setup and change settings somehow? do i need to change settings on the tv?

please help

thanks

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i tried these instructions off the web and it still did not work. argh

"Connecting to a TV using an HDMI cable

Connect the system to the TV using an HDMI cable (sold separately). An HDMI cable can output both video and audio and enables you to enjoy digital-quality video and audio with minimal loss of picture quality.

Notes

If you wish to use the HDMI capabilities of the PlayStation®3, you must first setup the system using the included A/V cables. Follow the steps below to configure HDMI settings on the users PlayStation®3 system.

1. Check the resolution supported by your TV.

Resolution varies depending of the TV type. For details, refer to the instruction manual for the TV.

2. Select Display Settings under Settings in the XMB of the PlayStation®3.

3. Select Video Output Settings.

4. Select the connector type on your TV (HDMI).

5. You will now be informed that the PlayStation® 3 will test the settings for 30 seconds.

6. After you select the button to “test” the display, the system will remain in the selected connection type for 30 sec.

At this time you should switch your television’s input from the AV input to the HDMI input.

If your television supports HDMI then you will see a screen asking to accept the setting.

If your television doesn’t support HDMI, the television will display a black screen to which you will wait the 30 seconds until the PlayStation®3 reverts back to the original setting.

7. You will then be asked what resolution you want to display in the selected connection type (Automatic or Manual).

8. If you select Automatic, the PlayStation®3 will configure itself to the highest possible resolution.

9. If you select Manual, the PlayStation®3 will allow you to select the resolution you wish to display (1080p / 1080i / 720p / 480p).

10. After you select the resolution you wish to use, you will be prompted to set the television type.

11. Once you select the resolution, whether automatic or manual, you will then be prompted to save the settings by pressing .

·
Banned
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it kept going blank for 30 seconds and returning me to the previous screen.

i didnt find anything regarding XMB, no XMB options anywhere on the screen. im assuming thats why? even though i did find display settings. im confused

·
Registered
191 Posts
are you positive your TV is 1080p? dumb question, but it might resolve some issues, im not trying to sound likea prick. i always have to make sure to check the boxes manually for it to work on my TV.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Did you try using the auto detect function? Plug in your HDMI cable and unplug the composite cables. When turning on the PS3, hold the power button until your hear second beep. It will take about 4 or 5 seconds of holding button before you hear the second beep. This will auto detect your resolution and output. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Release it after the second beep.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts