AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, as many of you can probably tell I've just joined the forums, however i have been referring to avs forums for reviews and guidance for the past year.
Here is the dilemma.
I know that SVS is highly regarded around here, but I'm not able to afford one thats the size I'd like currently.
I am looking into buying a used subwoofer off ebay/craigslists. I currently just bought a Klipsch SW-115 that comes with a klipsch wireless system off ebay for $450 shipped. I've been reading reviews about it and it seems like there are better options out there for its mspr, however i got it for $450 shipped. I still have the option to cancel the order, as I just made it.
I'm wondering if there are any better options out there for $400-$450.
I mainly use my system for listening to music about 65% of the time, its more rap/hiphop kind of stuff. I recently sold my M&K subwoofer on ebay, so I'm using that money to pay for the new subwoofer, so price is pretty tight.
I sold the M&K because I want something that could go louder, as I'll also be using the sub for parties, I never turned up the M&K too high because it was an expensive subwoofer meant for more precise bass and not to be blared.
My room isn't very big, the M&K was the perfect size, however for parties the subwoofer would be moved to a bigger room and the M&K couldn't keep up. It was a mx-150 thx.
So my question is, should I cancel my order of the Klipsch SW-115 (its an open box item, not used) and look at a different sub? Or should I go ahead and get it because from what I've seen I got it for a great price.
Any input would be great!
My set up is: Mains: Polk monitor 60's, Center: Paradigm CC-300, Surrounds: Klipsch R-15m, Surround back: Klipsch R-15m
Receiver: Onkyo tx-sr605
Could you guys give me some input on what I should do for my subwoofer?
Thanks!!

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
That Klipsch appears to be a very good subwoofer, especially at that price (Amazon has it listed for $600). I don't know of anything at $450 that would be an upgrade.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Have you thought of DIY ? If you go to Parts Express look at some of their kits with a 15" driver approx. 250 or less get a Behringer Inuke nu1000 amp for 150 add 100 or less for connectors wire and how you want to finish it. At the most 475 plus you would not believe how good it sounds. Just a thought.

·
Registered
5,836 Posts
^ I don't think you took a look at the Klipsch SW-115 that O.P. was getting.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, thats the subwoofer I bought, but then I just had a bad feeling about it, so i asked to cancel the order and he did. I didn't know he sold it for $400. That give me an even better feeling that there probably wasn't something right about it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I bought a Klipsch Synergy Sub-12 off amazon for $230. It came and the box was all beat up/poorly packaged. One of the 2 of the corners were smashed in, not too bad, but not something that I wanted to pay $230 for. So I called amazon and they said that the item in non returnable due to the fact it has a strong magnet in it. So they gave me a full refund and told me to dispose of the item anyway i wanted. So I have a Klipsch Synergy sub as well. Should i just get a second one and have a matching set?
I was looking at used Velodynes, Martin Logans, Klipsch, SVS, BIC. But my limit it 500. I know there is the SVS pb1000, but it seems pretty underpowered for the price, I'm not looking for something that will get the lowest it possibly can, more like something that i can turn up and will be noticed by 80-100 people, but something that can also be used as a home theater sub/for playing ps4 and video games. So DJ subs are kinda out.

I recently just upgraded my system with the money i got refunded from the amazon buy. Polk is selling M20 speakers for $94/pair. So i got 2 pairs so they will be my surround back and surround speakers. Do you guys think that was a good buy? I had the klipsch R-15ms on homemade stands before, but they didn't really match the front/center speakers.

Anyways, what do you guys think about a sub?
Do you think the Polk M20's were a good buy?

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
Well
Yea, thats the subwoofer I bought, but then I just had a bad feeling about it, so i asked to cancel the order and he did. I didn't know he sold it for $400. That give me an even better feeling that there probably wasn't something right about it.
Well I'm the guy you've been texting back and forth with the past week about the svs subs, the sb12 and more recently the pb12 that I was selling. You also told me this morning that the klipsch you bought today for 450 w/ the wireless wasn't off Ebay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yea. I've been all over the place with what I have been buying and selling. I was going to buy a friends SW-115 that also came with the wireless subwoofer feature, however the subwoofer feature was not a klipsch system. We got mixed up in the process, i thought that he was going to sell for $450 shipped, but it was $450 plus the cost of shipping (which was nearly $100) and he wanted $25 extra for the wireless system. So thats what happened, then I saw the ebay thing for $450. I offered him $450 because thats what a used/open box one was selling for on ebay so i figured it was just a fair price to offer.
MIX_MASTER_ICE: I'm regretting not getting the PB12-NSD you were selling before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts