AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got an old sound system from a relative and not entirely sure how to use it to it's max potential OR find a solution for the new tech/old tech issues.

I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system with Yamaha RX-V1 receiver. I've been reading that I need an amp and processor to utilize them to their fullest potential and overcome the issue with no HDMi ports. But I'm not sure which budget-friendly devices I need to get.

Can i get a few suggestions? Clearly, I'm very new to all of this, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance! :)

·
Registered
536 Posts
What speakers are you trying to drive? The RX-V1 would seem plenty powerful for most speakers.

With the RX-V1 having no HDMI inputs & no HD audio decoders, it means you can't listen to lossless audio formats (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master) that are in newer Blu-ray disks. Having no HD decoders also means you can't listen to Dolby Digital Plus that Netflix streams with some of its videos. I personally don't consider these limitations to be deal breakers, but others with more sensitive hearing might, especially if one watches a lot of blu-ray movies. Based on its specs, I assume the RX-V1 can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as DTS 5.1.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got an old sound system from a relative and not entirely sure how to use it to it's max potential OR find a solution for the new tech/old tech issues.

I have a 5.1 surround sound speaker system with Yamaha RX-V1 receiver. I've been reading that I need an amp and processor to utilize them to their fullest potential and overcome the issue with no HDMi ports. But I'm not sure which budget-friendly devices I need to get.

Can i get a few suggestions? Clearly, I'm very new to all of this, so I'm open to any and all suggestions. Thanks in advance! :)
What speakers are you trying to drive? The RX-V1 would seem plenty powerful for most speakers.

With the RX-V1 having no HDMI inputs & no HD audio decoders, it means you can't listen to lossless audio formats (Dolby TrueHD & DTS-HD Master) that are in newer Blu-ray disks. Having no HD decoders also means you can't listen to Dolby Digital Plus that Netflix streams with some of its videos. I personally don't consider these limitations to be deal breakers, but others with more sensitive hearing might, especially if one watches a lot of blu-ray movies. Based on its specs, I assume the RX-V1 can decode Dolby Digital 5.1 as well as DTS 5.1.

I am leejane07's boyfriend and we are new to the audio world. The speakers are as old as the RX-V1 receiver. Off the top of my head, I cannot remember the brand, but they retailed for more than the Rx-V1 receiver. When we first got them, it seemed like the company is a relatively small brand that specializes in "high end" audio gear. The speakers and receiver were hand me downs (solid hand me downs with a crazy learning curve :) ).

Looking at the manual and through trial and error, we have managed to get sound for the TV and computer. However, we do not know if we are truly optimizing the receiver's capabilities by using the right inputs and outputs.

Right now, I am using the DVD inputs for the computer and the CBL/SAT for the TV. The TV pushes out sound to 4 speakers, but does not push out proper 5.1 sound. The computer only pushes sound to 2 speakers.

We have several questions:

1. Is there a more optimal way to set the input wires? And are we using the right set up?
2. Do you recommend setting up the speakers wires different?
2. Would using an amp benefit us in any way (pros and cons would be helpful)?
3. Is there a way to "hack" the receiver to leverage HDMI devices, primarily chromecast?

We are not audio experts so appreciate any assistance in this. From reading reviews, the RX-V1 is very solid but old, and the bones are better than the newer stuff. So if there is a way for us to successful leverage it, we are open to any suggestions.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Right now I would not recommend purchasing different amps or speakers till you get everything working the way it should. You may be perfectly happy with what you can do with what you have.

I am not sure you have the speaker wires hooked up in the proper speaker outputs. It is a little hard to tell from the picture, but I would assume you want to use the speaker connections on the top right (where it says 'FRONT') for your front left and right, the ones right below that for the surrounds (where it says 'REAR'). It looks like you are using the correct outputs for your center. I believe the speaker outputs on the bottom are for stereo listening only, and not for surround sound.

For your TV, do you have cable/satellite, or are you using an antenna? If you have a cable/satellite box, you should use a digital cable from your cable box and have it go to one of the CBL/SAT inputs on the far left, probably the toslink input, which is second from the bottom on the far left. This will give you surround sound from your cable box. A toslink cable can be bought from Amazon for under $10. Maybe don't get the very cheapest, but don't feel like you have to spend more than $10. If you are using an antenna and have the audio coming out of your TV and going into the receiver, it will depend on what connections your TV has.

For your computer, which I assume you are using for Netflix, etc., it will depend on what your computer has for outputs. I assume you are using the headphone out jack? Some computers come with optical or toslink connections. If it is an Apple computer, your headphone out may double as an optical/toslink out, but you would need to get an adaptor to use it.

Anyway, see if anything I typed out above helps and/or if you have any questions. I may not have explained stuff as well as I think!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Right now I would not recommend purchasing different amps or speakers till you get everything working the way it should. You may be perfectly happy with what you can do with what you have.

I am not sure you have the speaker wires hooked up in the proper speaker outputs. It is a little hard to tell from the picture, but I would assume you want to use the speaker connections on the top right (where it says 'FRONT') for your front left and right, the ones right below that for the surrounds (where it says 'REAR'). It looks like you are using the correct outputs for your center. I believe the speaker outputs on the bottom are for stereo listening only, and not for surround sound.

For your TV, do you have cable/satellite, or are you using an antenna? If you have a cable/satellite box, you should use a digital cable from your cable box and have it go to one of the CBL/SAT inputs on the far left, probably the toslink input, which is second from the bottom on the far left. This will give you surround sound from your cable box. A toslink cable can be bought from Amazon for under $10. Maybe don't get the very cheapest, but don't feel like you have to spend more than $10. If you are using an antenna and have the audio coming out of your TV and going into the receiver, it will depend on what connections your TV has.

For your computer, which I assume you are using for Netflix, etc., it will depend on what your computer has for outputs. I assume you are using the headphone out jack? Some computers come with optical or toslink connections. If it is an Apple computer, your headphone out may double as an optical/toslink out, but you would need to get an adaptor to use it.

Anyway, see if anything I typed out above helps and/or if you have any questions. I may not have explained stuff as well as I think!
Thanks for the wiring advice. I will fiddle around with the wires to see if I can set up properly. I believe the configuration that I followed was part of the manual and it looked odd to me at the time, but never questioned it. I'll post a pic afterwards to ensure I am doing it right. :)

I just searched monoprice for TosLink and there are multiple mm outside diameter. Does that matter?

·
Registered
536 Posts
To get 5.1 audio from the Cable/Sat Box, connect it to the AVR using an optical digital audio cable (lower left on AVR's back). Alternatively you can use a coaxial digital audio cable (upper left on AVR's back). Don't use the the red & white RCA plugs unless all you want is stereo. Ditto for your DVD player.

For 5.1 audio, your Left & Right speakers should be connected to the AVR's "Main A" speaker terminals, 1 center speaker should be connected to the AVR's "Center" terminals, 2 surround speakers should be connected to the "Rear" terminals, and a powered subwoofer should be connected to the PRE-OUT MAIN SUBWOOFER MONO jack.

The AVR itself is an amp, but it does have pre-outs if you want to add amp(s) with more power. You might want to do this is you are setting up a sound system for an auditorium, or you want to entertain the whole neighborhood.

I can't say how you might use something like chromecast without knowing what TV you have, or at least what input and outputs it has.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
Thanks for the wiring advice. I will fiddle around with the wires to see if I can set up properly. I believe the configuration that I followed was part of the manual and it looked odd to me at the time, but never questioned it. I'll post a pic afterwards to ensure I am doing it right. :)

I just searched monoprice for TosLink and there are multiple mm outside diameter. Does that matter?
Size doesn't matter... Well, you want to make sure it is long enough. :rolleyes:

To get 5.1 audio from the Cable/Sat Box, connect it to the AVR using an optical digital audio cable (lower left on AVR's back). Alternatively you can use a coaxial digital audio cable (upper left on AVR's back). Don't use the the red & white RCA plugs unless all you want is stereo. Ditto for your DVD player.

For 5.1 audio, your Left & Right speakers should be connected to the AVR's "Main A" speaker terminals, 1 center speaker should be connected to the AVR's "Center" terminals, 2 surround speakers should be connected to the "Rear" terminals, and a powered subwoofer should be connected to the PRE-OUT MAIN SUBWOOFER MONO jack.

@Lils Roro I stand corrected. Your front left and right should be hooked up to "MAIN A" Left and Right, and not "FRONT" Left and Right like I thought. I am not a Yamaha person, so I was mistaken.

·
Registered
7 Posts

The AVR itself is an amp, but it does have pre-outs if you want to add amp(s) with more power. You might want to do this is you are setting up a sound system for an auditorium, or you want to entertain the whole neighborhood.

I can't say how you might use something like chromecast without knowing what TV you have, or at least what input and outputs it has.
Thanks! I'll try this tonight and see if it works well.

Size doesn't matter... Well, you want to make sure it is long enough. :rolleyes:
Definitely need to get these then. I just need to ensure that my onboard sound has a TosLink output.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks! I'll try this tonight and see if it works well.

Definitely need to get these then. I just need to ensure that my onboard sound has a TosLink output.
So we finally got a TosLink cable. I had some issues with connecting it to the cable box. The sound wouldn't produce right.

I connected the TosLink to my TV. It is a Vizio E3D420LX. I am getting sound on my left speakers (front and back) but my center and right speakers (front and back) are not producing any sound.

Any thoughts? I attached some pictures on the wiring setting.

When I did a sound test on the receiver, no sound came out for the front right, back right, and center speaker. Any tips would be highly appreciated.

Also, for those wondering the speakers are Atlantic Technologies Model 374SR.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts