AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I'm new here, i signed up for the sole purpose of getting some help here. MY 32" Sharp Aquos has gotten some kind of burn in or Image retention. I am not sure what to do at this point as I've been told this is not covered by warranty, but I have heard there are fixes for this. I tried the white image thing that didn't work.

I went to a forum that says downloading the JSscreenfix app works. But I downloaded this app put it on a CD, but it's not readbale on either my PS3 or 360. The contents are all listed but nothing in the contents to run the app.

So I'm not sure what else to do. Would running the DVD calibration do anything that I bought to calibrate the colour for my set do anything?

I'm lost as to what to try next. Or how I can get this app to be opened up on my tv from my mac.

The description of the image retention/burn in is quite odd. It's almost like a fingerprint the way it looks. It's 2 black like prints that show up near the middle of the screen. it's not noticeable on dark area's but very on light.

I also get a burn in effect when playing certain games. Seeing certain imprints left on the screen in certain points.

·
Registered
7,233 Posts
Your not getting many responses because it's next to impossible to occur actually. Why don't you post pictures since you could be misinterpreted the event. I own four LCD TV's and I run them for extremely long periods and never seen such an event. I have 32", 45" 57" Sharps and a 23" Sony in my Kitchen with ZERO!

I also purchase for and manage a network with close to 400 LCD's and half of them are over 5 years old that run 24/7 and never seen burn-in or IR occur - NEVER--NADA! Pictures could help decipher perhaps. Usually the only possibility of such events is when Public Displays that run 24/7 use static images and that's usually been done with Plasma's.

The event you say you have is so rare as to not be a real concern on LCD's and please don't throw back the caveats in the Manuals -that is placed there by the Manufacturer's Attorneys and I've been here pretty much daily for 3.5 yrs and any such post with proof of the event posted is RARE indeed and if you study the nature of a backlit display and it's layers and lighting system it seems next to impossible - how long do you think it would take a flashlight to burn into a window or piece of glass - you may die before you see such an event replicate.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by westa6969 /forum/post/14273063

Your not getting many responses because it's next to impossible to occur actually. Why don't you post pictures since you could be misinterpreted the event. I own four LCD TV's and I run them for extremely long periods and never seen such an event. I have 32", 45" 57" Sharps and a 23" Sony in my Kitchen with ZERO!

I also purchase for and manage a network with close to 400 LCD's and half of them are over 5 years old that run 24/7 and never seen burn-in or IR occur - NEVER--NADA! Pictures could help decipher perhaps. Usually the only possibility of such events is when Public Displays that run 24/7 use static images and that's usually been done with Plasma's.

The event you say you have is so rare as to not be a real concern on LCD's and please don't throw back the caveats in the Manuals -that is placed there by the Manufacturer's Attorneys and I've been here pretty much daily for 3.5 yrs and any such post with proof of the event posted is RARE indeed and if you study the nature of a backlit display and it's layers and lighting system it seems next to impossible - how long do you think it would take a flashlight to burn into a window or piece of glass - you may die before you see such an event replicate.

Don't get too high on your horse there with your anecdotal evidence there. I've seen burn-in / image retention on a several LCD's before and it very possible.

It is usually caused by a DC bias building up on the LCD. Most modern wide viewing angle active matrix LCD panels invert the drive voltage between frames so that the time average of the voltage on the pixels is 0. However, if this isn't done correctly, or the voltages aren't the same for the positive and negative side they don't cancel each other out, and you get a DC build up over time which will cause the pixels to not return to 0, but stay at some value giving you what amounts to burn-in.

If the TV is still under warranty let them deal with it since it's a defect (despite what Samsung says in there above linked to PDF).

·
Registered
404 Posts
Being a Sharp it's most likely banding? Do a search for sharp+banding and you'll come up with a tonne of threads with pictures to compare and narrow it down.

·
Registered
319 Posts
My westy 37w3 had image retention and eventually got so bad when id fire it up the images would be there in a matter of minutes.

I play alot WoW and with in minutes you would see IR of the map up in the top right corner of the screen along with the spell bar at the bottom etc.

It was a very odd thing too, i never had any issues until about a year in, then bam all of a sudden image retention.

As time went on the issue became worse, my roomate has the 42w3 and has never had an issue. I still have no explaination for it.

I loved that set too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did you read my whole post? I'm asking how to use this app on my set. I put it on a CDR and tried to access it with PS3 and 360 but both cannot launch this program, I can only do it through computer. How can I launch this app on my tv?

What can I possibly be mis interpreting this for? There are images stuck on my screen that wont go away. I've looked on google about this and LCD's seem to have this problem, whether it's called burn in, image retention, or banding I don't know. but the problem exists, look online you'll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Of course you can't run it on a game console, it's a pc program. Hook your tv up to the pc using the vga input or a dvi-hdmi cable.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My tv does not have a vga connection. Is there not an easy way of getting this program to run on my tv?

What about running a calibration DVD on my PS3 or 360, would this do anything?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsea /forum/post/14276205

My tv does not have a vga connection. Is there not an easy way of getting this program to run on my tv?

You don't have access to a PC with a DVI output?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well that would mean I would have to buy a cable just to run this program which might not even do anything. So I would rather than try something else if it's not possible running this app without it.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsea /forum/post/14276400

well that would mean I would have to buy a cable just to run this program which might not even do anything. So I would rather than try something else if it's not possible running this app without it.

Have you tried leaving the TV off and unplugged for a long time?

How about leaving the TV tuned to a empty channel that (displaying nothing but static) for some long duration of time.

Also, can you post a picture. Depending on the severity of the image it may not be reversible. A picture will help us determine that.

Who told you that it wasn't covered by warranty?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't have my camera with me right now.

I tried shutting off my tv but not unplugging it. Would that make a difference?

I tried leaving it on a static channel but nothing.

I read on google some where that any image retention is not covered by warranty.

·
Registered
15,396 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by techsea /forum/post/14276556

I tried shutting off my tv but not unplugging it. Would that make a difference?

Maybe, maybe not.
Quote:
I read on google some where that any image retention is not covered by warranty.

I'd be calling Sharp making your self a pain in the ass until you get it resolved. Until the highest person in Sharp's Warranty department tells you it's not covered you haven't been told "no".

And, how did you get burn in? What TV channel is static enough to burn something in on a LCD? I've only ever seen it on LCDs used as computer monitors.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thing is I don't really know what it's from. It's weird it look like just a black spot on there. Almost like a dirty fingerprint. But it's definitely not dirt or anything on the tv. It's something that's just stuck there.

I actually have an extended warranty with bestbuy in canada. I guess I should just call them up and see if it's covered or not.

·
Registered
803 Posts
when you call about the warranty....describe what you see. Don't tell them it's burn in, or anything else because you don't know what it is. You are just a customer: I seem to see the map from the game I played yesterday still on the screen. Get a tech to come out to your house....let him make the diagnosis. Then take it from there. I have seen too many people shot down because they use a word that the person on the other end of the phone finds isn't covered.....even if it's not the problem. You do not have burn in .... you have an image of something you saw yesterday. Got it???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah got it thanks. Yeah I plan to actually just describe what looks to be on the screen. I wont mention the word burn in, image retention, banding or anything else.

Thanks for the heads up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts