AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Replaytv 5040 from Ebay and I can't get it to connect to the service. My old Replay 3030 died on me and I couldn't live without it. Can anyone help me connect to the service? I don't know if the machine is not working or if I'm doing it wrong. It's been a long time since I had to do this. I would really appreciate any help. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing that is different is when I try to get it to acknowledge my cable it has nothing listed and asks me to call a number which costs money. I didn't have to do this with my old replaytv.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,050 Posts
3-8-2-Zones to factory reset. Then it will call a toll free number to get the list of local numbers. After a factory reset, the dialing technique should be exactly the same as your old RTV...


Henry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
If you have an ethernet connection, why on Earth would you use a phone line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
249 Posts
TTple, What do you use for phone service that you're dialing out over? Is it VOIP by any chance? Although you should be using the network connection if you can with the 5040, I wonder if there's a common cause in your 3030 failure and your 5040, such as VOIP phone service. My Replay 3K devices (2 were still in service) have stopped being able to dial out over my Vonage service in the past few months, even though I have all the old fixes in place (#99; 19,200 baud, etc).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 /forum/post/17053058


If you have an ethernet connection, why on Earth would you use a phone line?

I never used an ethernet connection before and am not sure what to do.


Quote:
Make sure that you have the phone line plugged into the phone port. It will fit the LAN port and the voltage will destroy the LAN port.

The port it is plugged into says "TEL LINE". I did notice that it was a little difficult connecting the phone line into it. I had to use push with my nail until I heard the click.

Quote:
TTple, What do you use for phone service that you're dialing out over? Is it VOIP by any chance? Although you should be using the network connection if you can with the 5040, I wonder if there's a common cause in your 3030 failure and your 5040, such as VOIP phone service. My Replay 3K devices (2 were still in service) have stopped being able to dial out over my Vonage service in the past few months, even though I have all the old fixes in place (#99; 19,200 baud, etc).

I use Comcast for phone, internet, and cable. My 3030 died a slow death. It could always call out but I knew the modem was dying until one day it did.


Thanks for the responses.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTple /forum/post/17055431


I use Comcast for phone, internet, and cable. My 3030 died a slow death. It could always call out but I knew the modem was dying until one day it did.

Comcast IS a VoIP service, so that could be part of your problem...


You really haven't provided many details other than it saying "Network socket error"! When did it say that? How far did you get through the setup? Did it pick up the phone line and try to dial? Was it the first time it dialed out that it had a problem and did it make any progress?


Many more details needed...


Henry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
*I did the "begin quick setup"

*clicked on "modem"

*entered area code and first 3 digits of phone number

*entered "zip code"

*I skipped the dialing prefix

*pressed to connect to service- it says setting clock and updating control info.. updating control info usually gets stuck at 1% but now it's at 14% and going... 18% and going.. 35%.. I'm getting so nervous.. 50%.. Hold me... 75%.. I hope to God nobody calls me.. 90%.. I don't know if I can stand it... 99%.. Oh my God it seems to be working.. getting channel info... Disconnecting.. err, I hope it's supposed to do that.. It's asking to choose a number.. It had me go through a few things I hope I did correctly.. It seems to be going through the same process.. It's been over a half hour and the channel guide is 86% done..


Oh My God It's Working!!


Thanks guys..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,556 Posts
Good then go into setup on the main menu and switch network from "Phone" to network and it will get an ip address, etc from your router and updates will be 3 minutes instead of 15.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top