Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening all,

I need to repaint my living room to install my home theater 2 questions i have for the group

1. What popular color are you using for your home theater room that will not reflect light

2. My living room is 138 inches X 141 inches X 166 inches X 96 inches. On the 166 inches wall there is a 96 inches wide windows covers with velvet drape. The entrance to the living room is also covered with velvet drape. THis is causing a challenge to setup the HT gear any suggestions

alain

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Alain,
Quote:
THis is causing a challenge to setup the HT gear any suggestions
What is the challenge/problem being caused by the curtains? See attached diagram for how I would set up the speakers.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by apilon
Good evening all,

1. What popular color are you using for your home theater room that will not reflect light
I have medium/dark, flat gray walls with darker gray curtains and dark gray carpet. It looks very sophisticated, but I can't actually recommend it because NOBODY has gray furniture and accessories this year. Finding seating in the right shade took almost a year, and I still can't find decent pillows. Blue/gray, green/gray, brown/gray everywhere. Neutral, unpatterned gray - impossible.

I see plenty of dark red, sage green, and all shades of blue, so I'd say those are your best bets for creating a coordinated look right now.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurani
Alain, What is the challenge/problem being caused by the curtains? See attached diagram for how I would set up the speakers.

Best,

Sanjay

Good evening

The challenge lies more with the room dimension having one parallel wall shorter tan the other..

Thanks for the speakers placement tips

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Alain,
Quote:
The challenge lies more with the room dimension having one parallel wall shorter tan the other..
OK, so the curtains are not the problem. As for the walls, you have to make the best of your situation.

I would draw a line down the middle of the room (front to back) and place the centre speaker where the line meets the front wall. I would put the right speaker where the front wall ends on the right side. The left speaker should go the same distance away from the centre speaker that the right speaker is.

So even though you have parallel walls that are of different lengths, you can still do a symmetrical layout in that room.

Best,

Sanjay

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Alain, OK, so the curtains are not the problem. As for the walls, you have to make the best of your situation.

I would draw a line down the middle of the room (front to back) and place the centre speaker where the line meets the front wall. I would put the right speaker where the front wall ends on the right side. The left speaker should go the same distance away from the centre speaker that the right speaker is.

So even though you have parallel walls that are of different lengths, you can still do a symmetrical layout in that room.

Best,

Sanjay

Thanks for the help.. your idea of drawing a line down the middle of the room is one that i thought of and i figure that i should use the longest wall as a measurement for it right?

·
Registered
30,382 Posts
Alain,
Quote:
your idea of drawing a line down the middle of the room is one that i thought of and i figure that i should use the longest wall as a measurement for it right?
Right. Start at the middle of the 166" wall and go straight to the opposite wall (i.e., the front wall). You will notice that you have 69" to the left of the centre line and 41" to the right of centre line.

Place the right front speaker where the wall ends on the right side. Place the left front speaker the same distance away from the centre line (28" in from the left corner). You can place your subwoofer in the left corner and the centre speaker exactly at the centre line.

If you are sitting in the sweet spot (the middle of your sofa), the front speakers will be symmetrically spread out in front of you and the surround speaker will equal distance away behind you.

Make sense?

Sanjay

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Alain, Right. Start at the middle of the 166" wall and go straight to the opposite wall (i.e., the front wall). You will notice that you have 69" to the left of the centre line and 41" to the right of centre line.

Place the right front speaker where the wall ends on the right side. Place the left front speaker the same distance away from the centre line (28" in from the left corner). You can place your subwoofer in the left corner and the centre speaker exactly at the centre line.

If you are sitting in the sweet spot (the middle of your sofa), the front speakers will be symmetrically spread out in front of you and the surround speaker will equal distance away behind you.

Make sense?

Sanjay
Thanks it makes perfect sense

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.