AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can use a little help from anyone to help me with the hookup of my equipment.

I have searched the site over and over, getting ideas and suggestions on how I might connect all my equipment. But, I guess I lost some of my technical savvy, now that I will be 60 yrs. young next month. I find myself having more “senior moments†than I would like. But, I digress. Here’s my situation;

Own a 50†Sammy DLP, purchased in early 2004.

Own a Sammy TS-360 for DTV, purchased in 10/04. This replaced an RCA DTC-100 that died.

Just purchased a Pioneer DVR RT500 Combo DVD/VHS player-recorder. Don't have the patience or the $$$ to wait for Blu-Ray.

All the reading I have done on this site says that the TS-360 will upconvert to the DLP.

That’s great, since I want to enjoy the quality of the TV. So yesterday, I hooked up the Pioneer output component cables to the i/p component jacks on the 360. Changed the mode on the TS-360 to Component, popped in a DVD and got a picture. Hooked up standard RCA cables from the o/p jacks on the Pioneer to the RCA i/p on the TS-360. Changed output on 360 to video, and the VHS tape appeared on the screen. So far, so good.

I input the Pioneer through the TS-360 because of the upconvert idea. I have the TS-360 connected to my DLP via DVI and Component, though I usually watch via the component. For some reason, the pic seems more clear. However, my TS-360 manual states that to upconvert, the DVI must be used. Not a problem.

Now the hard part; How in the world do I hook this Pioneer up to record either a DVD-RW or a VHS tape? I haven’t a clue. Should I connect the TS-360 o/p to the I/P on the Pioneer? Is upconversion over-rated, and not worth the effort?

This new technology will drive a man to drink. Anyway, any and all help is appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,918 Posts
Your TV will upconvert the output from the DVD player to it's native resolution on it's own, just hook the DVD player directly to the TV and see how it looks.

As for recording, you hook to hook the RF, composite or s-video out on the TS-360 to the input on the VCR.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.