AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. So I have a DIY 120" fixed frame white screen that I built and I'm quite happy with it...but...I just made one for my buddy using Grey material from an online retailer and the image seemed to be much crisper...better colours and much better blacks than on my matt white.

so...I'm wondering, should I be switching over to Grey??? Should I consider the Silver screens such as a Stewart Firehawk instead? would this give even better image quality?

I have only ever used matt white screens..but now I'm second guessign myself. any help?

I have a Benq W9000 projector btw. throw is 20ft to the screen. would a darker screen make the image better in ambient light? I always thought the white would be better, but now i'm thinking I am wrong about that after seeing the results on a darker grey screen in the light. HELP?

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so you are saying my picture will actually show up better with light in the room on a grey screen compared to a white screen? will the image be even better on the grey in the dark compared to white? will i lose much brightness by doing this?

another question. is there anywhere i can buy raw Stewart Firehawk silver screen material to build my own screen with?

·
Registered
6,335 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19646616

ok so you are saying my picture will actually show up better with light in the room on a grey screen compared to a white screen? will the image be even better on the grey in the dark compared to white? will i lose much brightness by doing this?

another question. is there anywhere i can buy raw Stewart Firehawk silver screen material to build my own screen with?

Your image will have better perceived blacks but the over all image brightness will be darker. I would spend some time in the Screen Forum and learn a bit about gain and light control etc etc

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by airscapes /forum/post/19646756

Your image will have better perceived blacks but the over all image brightness will be darker. I would spend some time in the Screen Forum and learn a bit about gain and light control etc etc

yup. that's what i'm doing right now. I really want some Stewart Firehawk silver material, but seems I can't buy it alone and DAMN are those screens expensive!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.