Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I need some advice.

My wife and I want a bigger tv.. had a 21" that ate itself (smoke and everything), now borrowing a 25". We watch about 40% regular ntsc cable, 40% svcds (480x480 high bitrate) 10% dvds and 10% vhs (she records soaps everyday). I want an hd ready tv as I dont want it to be obsolete in 3 years and i want to upgrade to ota hd, I want widescreen b/c i know thats the format everything is going to, but she hates black bars. We prefer a 4:3 strech to wide than the tall and skinny stretch of 16:9 to 4:3. We will probably have about an 8-10 viewing distance. Budget is around 2-3k for the tv.

1. My guess is that widescreen is best, and not to stretch the ntsc cable. On a 50" this will yield a 40" 4:3 image. Is this to big for a good cable signal? Is the stretch mode acceptable for regular cable?

2. Is anyone using wood (i.e. part of entertainment center) to cover the vertical black/gray bars on a widescreen tv for 4:3 viewing? Does this give a really recessed feel or is it enjoyable to watch on a daily basis? Pictures?

3. Im leaning toward the gwII in 50". Is there a gw3 on the horizon? I wont be making this purchase until ~february.

4. Best Buy doesnt carry the gw2, and i get a discount there. Is there anything similar to the gw2 that doesnt get burn in?

5. What is the maintenence costs on the gw2? (I.e. bulbs, calibration, etc.. on an annual basis?)

thanx so much in advance for your help.. i really need good info to be able to sell the wife on these items.

-jeff

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump, man these pages go fast..

anybody? i would really appreciate some help.. i have been browsing these pages for days..

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
It depends on your priorities, VHS will look awful on any large TV (perhaps you should get a Tivo). If a good movie experiance watching DVDs is what you are looking for then an HDTV ready widescreen would work well.

The GWII does not suffer from burn in so would be ideal for mixed usage. It just started shipping so do not expect a GWII until the end of next year.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.