AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am pretty lost here. I am a mom of four trying to figure out a configuration of equipment. I have a basement space of about 1,000 square feet. I am more interested in sound quality for music rather than gaming or movies. There is a tv against a far wall with a pool table and other games around the space. I would like the entire space to "feel" the music for entertaining. I definitely am feeling lost trying to figure out a wireless system. My budget is $500 to $700ish.
Can anyone please help me or send me in the right direction?
Thank you so much!!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Start with two speakers and a suitable receiver.

I have recent experience with these in my main system (trying them out on a dare):

http://www.amazon.com/Infinity-Prim...?ie=UTF8&qid=1428590764&sr=8-1&keywords=p-363

They go on 'sale' for $99 each regularly.

I'd say they exceeded my expectations.

Recievers/AVR- broad choice to choose from, with which I have no recent experience. I'm sure someone else will be happy to supply some ideas.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you RayDunzl for your help!! I really appreciate it! :) This is my first system. I wish the sky was the limit!! :) I have a budget but may be able to switch some things around and spend a bit more. Thank you again!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Another possibility, instead of equipment that would normally go in your living room, would be 'pro' equipment.

There would be some that would recommend these speakers, which should go quite loud.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215XL.aspx

Around $220 each.

Unless your basement has some sound-deadening features, you may find too loud to be objectional as the sound echoes around the room.

Is it finished - walls and carpet and furniture, or just a typical basement with concrete all around?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crn3371 ~ I do not need to do wireless. With that amount of space I guessed it would be easier especially since I am not great at electronics. However, it if will allow me to have a better system than I would definitely buy a wired system. Thank you!! :)

RayDunzl ~ Thank you!! Checking out the link now. It has carpet and furniture. The space is a mix of concrete walls and drywall. Thank you so much again!!

·
Registered
458 Posts
You should add whether you already have source components, and if so, what they are (DVD player, turntable, etc). Sounds like you are starting from scratch though. If I were in your shoes, I would find a Definitive Technology dealer and take a test listen to this system.

http://www.definitivetech.com/products/procinema-400-system

I'll admit upfront that I am a big fan of Definitive Technology speakers, and have a full 5.1 BP2002 based system in my family room, along with a pair of ProMonitor 800's and a ProCenter 1000 in the living room, as well as a pair of IUW55 in-wall speakers in the bathroom. Love the sound. You can pick up a relatively inexpensive AV receiver such as a Pioneer VSX-524 for less than $200 when they go on sale. I got my VSX-521 for $150 at NewEgg,com a few years ago. There are also great deals to be had at Accessories4less, which is used by many AVSForum members.

http://www.accessories4less.com/

The main thing to remember when researching speakers is that what sounds good to one person might not sound good to another. Everyone hears differently. Oh, and stay away from Bose products. They are overpriced and under-performing. :cool:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you so much Five28! I have dvd player, so otherwise I am starting from scratch. Wow! Music through out the house and even in the bathroom would be heaven! I will take a look. Maybe down the road I will do that too. Thank you so much!! :)

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Your requirements mention music - general entertaining - multi use area - fairly big space.

And this is your first time out.

I'd stick with two capable speakers (stereo) as a baseline. It's worked well for many for 55 years.

If the lowest sounds are not 'powerful' enough, then you look at adding one or more subwoofers.

As for "feeling it throughout the entire space" some of your guests may prefer a quieter corner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very helpful Ray! Thank you! That is a very good point about a quieter corner. I really appreciate that! My theme is game room for the kids, bar/chill/relax feeling for the adults. I like to feel my music. If I could, I would live with my headphones on. :) However, with four children I only can do that after they are in bed. ;) Thank you again!!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
remember.. stick to your budget.. it is very easy in this layer of society (AVS Forums) to spend way way more than you set out to when you decided to jump in and allocate some of your hard earned currency to your entertainment.

All of these suggestions are just that. make sure you have a clear understanding of what you are buying BEFORE you pull the trigger. you do NOT want buyers remorse.

just helpful words.. that's all.. i'm sure the kids are gonna love whatever you go with.

good luck

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
remember.. stick to your budget.. it is very easy in this layer of society (AVS Forums) to spend way way more than you set out to when you decided to jump in and allocate some of your hard earned currency to your entertainment.

All of these suggestions are just that. make sure you have a clear understanding of what you are buying BEFORE you pull the trigger. you do NOT want buyers remorse.

just helpful words.. that's all.. i'm sure the kids are gonna love whatever you go with.

good luck
Thank you!!! :) Another good point! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts