AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm helping a friend put together his HT. He's going to have a pj with a 100" screen mounted above a fireplace.

Problem is, there's only about 3-4" of vertical height between the mantle just over the fireplace and the screen.

So we either need to find him a really skinny center channel or we could potentially mount something up at the ceiling and angle it down toward the listener.

I thought a skinny center channel would be better than the up high, angled down solution.

This will be for really non-critical listening. This is for movies, ballgames, fun in a recreation room. I'm not pretending that he can get audiophile or even decent sound from this. OK sound will be just fine, but I'd like to make it optimal.

He'll need a front 3 speakers for now, he has some crappy surrounds already mounted, we can work on those later. And we can't spend a fortune either. Maybe $100-$150 per speaker tops.

Any suggestions? I haven't shopped speakers in a long time, but I was thinking of the Energy Take 5.2 series? But I don't know if they're small enough.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Just went through a similiar process and ultimately got Energy Take 5 and am going to mount above my cabinet. Take 5 Center is 4" high so it might fit but maybe not.

Only other options in that height I found were Rocket Tykes (3 1/2" high) or the Bose VCS-10 (gasp!) (3.3" high).

You can only buy the Tykes in a full 5.1 package but if you could cough up $499, I think those might be your best choice.

If it is only a screen you are mounting between, couldn't you just raise the screen?

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
SuperRabbit0,

Thanks for the info. That's what I needed. I'll check out the Tykes, had never heard of them before. We may be able to squeeze the Take 5 center in. I think we're using all the real estate between the fireplace and ceiling already. He wanted to maximize screen size.

Thanks!

Edit, found Energy specs. Still looking for Tyke size specs.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Specs aren't posted. I emailed them when I was looking and got this reponse:

Satellites:

5 3/4" high x 3 1/8" wide x 4" deep(including binding posts and grill)

Center:

3 1/2" high x 9 3/4" wide x 4 1/4" deep(including binding posts and grill)

Subwoofer

13 3/4" high x 12" wide(incl feet) x 13" deep(incl amplifier heat sink fins)

You can find them at www.**********

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Ok, this may be a bit off ;-)...but..what about using a perforated material for the screen? You mentioned that the user doesn't care too much about sound. That should cut the cost down quite a bit since we won't be talking about THX certified materials ;-)...!!! But it should give him plenty of room to mount stuff behind the screen :)..

good luck!!

Allen

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Allen,

That's actually a good idea and we thought of that. But I made the executive decision that the perf screen material would compromise video quality too much. So he already has his screen made out of Da-Lite HCCV. I probably should have steered him to the acoustic perf stuff and done what you said. But I'll just have to take the blame for that one.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Bummer Jacksonian...I mean, EVERYONE needs room for a monster center ;-)...ehhehhehe...

Eh..hey, the Take series is a great system but since I haven't heard the Tykes, I can't say anything :)...but you can't go wrong with the Takes...!!

Good luck!!

Allen

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, it said the Tykes weren't shipping 'til next week. Has there been any buzz about them. Did anybody get to hear them yet? I know Rockets are legendary here, but I didn't know if anyone had had a chance to preview/demo the Tykes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.