AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Axiom EP 175 subwoofer that stays in "standby" mode until it is receiving a signal. Problem is, it has a hard time waking up and turning on. Sometimes when playing DVDs or CDs even with a lot of bass, it just won't turn on and I have to scroll through several menus on my preamp to send the test tone to it to get it to turn on. I've had this problem with it connected to two different preamps. I don't think the volume on the sub or on the preamp, or the crossover on either, makes any difference.


Any ideas?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,421 Posts
Some subs with standby modes are just like that, they don't like the signal they're getting and decide not to turn on until the volume is boosted quite a bit. I am not sure what to tell you other than to use the hard on switch or just to deal with having to turn the system up to get it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/14268033


I could be wrong but I think increasing the sub gain at the receiver (and then turning it down on the sub amp of course to level match) will help... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though...

This is correct.


Also, using a Y-adapter at the subwoofer can sometimes help.



The best solution, if your sub can be set this way, is to simply leave the sub in "ON" mode all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennon_68 /forum/post/14268033


I could be wrong but I think increasing the sub gain at the receiver (and then turning it down on the sub amp of course to level match) will help... Someone please correct me if I'm wrong though...

You are absolutely right. Chances are, in this case, that the poster had their subwoofer turned up too high when running the receiver's calibration routine, and the receiver compensated by setting a pretty steep cut in the subwoofer output at the LFE jack. Turn the subwoofer's input gain down, the reciever's output gain up, and voila - you get a higher output voltage and is more likely to trigger the standby circuit to turn-on.


The Y-adapter trick also mentioned is the same as turning the receiver output gain up 3dB.


Greg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammong /forum/post/14269211


The Y-adapter trick also mentioned is the same as turning the receiver output gain up 3dB.

Probably. However there is a chance that, for some reason, the sub's amp is "tickled" to a greater degree when both inputs are used. At any rate, it is something that can also be used in conjunction with a higher sub trim setting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,699 Posts
Every time I read a thread like this, it's usually due to the fact that many of those who have this problem with their sub don't know how to calibrate their system. If you use an spl meter when you run your test tones to balance out your system at reference, (see link below) in most cases, both the line level out from the receiver and the gain control on your sub, will be set so the auto-on works properly.


http://www.robbroy.net/HT/SubwooferErrors.cfm



Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/14270384


Every time I read a thread like this, it's usually due to the fact that many of those who have this problem with their sub don't know how to calibrate their system. If you use an spl meter when you run your test tones to balance out your system at reference, (see link below) in most cases, both the line level out from the receiver and the gain control on your sub, will be set so the auto-on works properly.

But it often doesn't. It is a common problem. In which case you can try increasing the receiver's sub level trim and decreasing the sub's gain control compensatorily (
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14270521


But it often doesn't. It is a common problem. In which case you can try increasing the receiver's sub level trim and decreasing the sub's gain control compensatorily (

I don't think it's as big a deal as many think it is. As you mentioned, in many cases just using a Y connector solves the problem. I can't tell you how many times forum members complained about the auto-sensing problem on the older Velodyne VRP subs. It became such an issue that Velodyne increased the input sensitivity on the preamp. However every time I provide setup instructions to members with these subs and also recommend using a Y, the auto-sensing usually works just fine.



Ian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang /forum/post/14274424


I don't think it's as big a deal as many think it is.

A lot of subs have this sort of issue. It can be very annoying.


Still, the best solution if your sub has the capability is to not use the Auto-On and simply leave it On full-time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,633 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14267573


I am not sure what to tell you other than to use the hard on switch.

Where can I buy one of these switches?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,874 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14267573


I am not sure what to tell you other than to use the hard on switch.................
Quote:
Originally Posted by ransac /forum/post/14274854


Where can I buy one of these switches?
Quote:
Originally Posted by armystud0911 /forum/post/14267573


................just to deal with having to turn the system up to get it on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,699 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim /forum/post/14274597


A lot of subs have this sort of issue. It can be very annoying.


Still, the best solution if your sub has the capability is to not use the Auto-On and simply leave it On full-time.


True. Unfortunately thats not an option on the VRP subs. However the new ones are so sensitive, that as soon as there is just the slightest amount input signal at all, they turn on.

Quote:
Where can I buy one of these switches?

At your local Pharmacy or on line. It's called Viagra.




Ian
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudybeet /forum/post/14267188


I have an Axiom EP 175 subwoofer that stays in "standby" mode until it is receiving a signal. Problem is, it has a hard time waking up and turning on. Sometimes when playing DVDs or CDs even with a lot of bass, it just won't turn on and I have to scroll through several menus on my preamp to send the test tone to it to get it to turn on. I've had this problem with it connected to two different preamps. I don't think the volume on the sub or on the preamp, or the crossover on either, makes any difference.


Any ideas?

For crying out loud what kind of Muppets do we, have these days!?
Turn the flipping AUTO switch OFF you don’t need it turned ON! What you do need is instantaneous response not a few seconds of delay!
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top