AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so you guys have been great, I got my plasma from your recommendations and have since then built a couple of HTPCs for the main room and bedroom.

Anyways, next week I start demo on the basement, complete overhaul, it's a small rectangular room about 25 feet by 20 feet. The TV is at one end and we sit at the other and along one side wall. While doing the renos I'd like to prepare for a surround sound system down the road. We don't have the $$$ right now for the speaker system but I'd like to do the wiring now while I have the walls down and just install the speakers later.

I was thinking a 5.1 system but considering I'm not getting the speakers now and they are going to a HTPC with onboard sound what should I be looking at stringing through the walls? We aren't big sound nuts but we'd love to have surround within a year or so. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenny /forum/post/16951685

Ok, so you guys have been great, I got my plasma from your recommendations and have since then built a couple of HTPCs for the main room and bedroom.

Anyways, next week I start demo on the basement, complete overhaul, it's a small rectangular room about 25 feet by 20 feet. The TV is at one end and we sit at the other and along one side wall. While doing the renos I'd like to prepare for a surround sound system down the road. We don't have the $$$ right now for the speaker system but I'd like to do the wiring now while I have the walls down and just install the speakers later.

I was thinking a 5.1 system but considering I'm not getting the speakers now and they are going to a HTPC with onboard sound what should I be looking at stringing through the walls? We aren't big sound nuts but we'd love to have surround within a year or so. Thanks, I appreciate the help.

So just to be clear, is the ultimate goal to wire the HTPC to a receiver? If so you shouldnt be running much of anything through the wall, if you are going to do a short run through the wall, i'd toss a 10-15' 1.3a HDMI cable, a shielded RCA cable, and possibly an optical cable. This will cover all your bases, as when outputting sound from a comp to the receiver you're either gonna do spdif either via optical or RCA, or you'll do LPCM through your video card via HDMI.

As for speaker wire to run through the walls, pick up a couple rolls of:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to run the cabling through now, during renos, to the four corners of the room, to a wall plug in for the speakers that would then plug to the sub to the sound card in my HTPC...later when I have the $$$ for the speakers they'd be wired at the 4 corners of the room where the wiring is already behind the wall....make sense?

HTPC (sound card)--->sub--->wall socket--->through walls to corners of room--->speakers.

Also, should I be looking for computer speakers or should I be going with a home theater system to my computer?

Right now I just need to know what to run through the walls, am a novice at this stuff, just don't want wires taped etc...along baseboards etc...trying to keep it clean by planning ahead.

Quick responses would be appreciated, demo has started today, I'd like to be doing the walls/wiring by Wednesday.

Thanks,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts