AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, this has been driving me crazy and i am not sure what to do...and i know you guys have all the info...

my problem is that i have a weird stuttering with spdif output. my receiver detects that it is dolby digital and not DPL but it stutters like crazy.

my setup is a dell 933 PIII (a precsion workstation 440 or something) that i have added a ati LE and a audiophile 24/96 to along with a ata100 hard through a pci card interface and i think that is all the pertinent information....

i think i have installed the latest drivers for the audiophile and the ati, and flashed the dvd rom (that 12x toshiba that was on sale at onvia) to the latest firmware. i have enabled DMA (weird thing is that i ran that dvd program to check if my dma is enabled and it passes but then when i run windvd it says that my dma is not enabled) i have all the dvd genie settings correct i think (i was only using ATI 4.1 player but then i installed windvd trial so that i could unregister the windvd filters in dvd genie). i also did read somewhere that i need to enable usb, but i am unable to do that (doing so, causes the system to freeze on boot up). i know the coax cable is good because i can play mp3s with winamp through the cable (although it doesn't sound as good as i expect it to since it doesn't untilizing my subwoofer)

But yet the stuttering persists, can anyone out there please help me?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
When I was puting my cusl2 together, I remember a lot of people had problems with ATA 100. Since you're not going to get any performance boost using ATA 100, you could try going back to a normal 66mhz driver (hooking your hd up directly to the mb, ata100 drives can be run in 66mhz mode). I know this is a pain. At the very least, you should get the latest ata 100 drivers. What card is it? Highpoint or Promise?

What os are you using? I'm on win98se.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am using win98SE...

my hard drive is the maxtor 30 gig and it came with a ata100 interface pci card that is also from maxtor

i will give your suggestion a shot....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, no go... i tried connecting the hard drive straight to the mother board and spdif out/dd sound still stutters like mad....

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
And you removed the ATA 100 drivers. You have the DVD has a primary master. You don't have anything else installed (like a cd-rw drive with adaptec drivers or some other card sharing the IRQ with the audiophile or another audio card like the soundblaster). You made sure your toshiba was compatible with the firmware you flashed it with by running driveinfo. When you enabled dma on your drive, you rebooted your machine before doing anything else.

You have a dell so you don't have a via chipset, but you should make sure.

You only get audio stutter, not audio and video stutter.

You downloaded the right drivers for your audiophile card, and have the "consumer" setting in maudio panel.

I don't like the fact that your system freezes when enabling USB.

Suggest you list all the hardware, software, and drivers installed on your machine.

------------------

Alex

[This message has been edited by work permit (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
BTW, re reading your thread, thats the first time I heard you had to install windvd so you could disable it

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
540 Posts
If your system freezes when USB enabled you may have to install the latest Cart drivers for your motherboard. I had the same problem till I upgraded the Cart drivers. You will need to check your motherboard and locate them.

R.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
>work permit

-ok, i will try it again and make sure to remove the drivers for the ata100

-i don't have a via chipset for sure...

-i have only audio stutter not video and only the digital (analog has no stutter although it sounds a little fuzzy)

-i forgot to mention that i also have a wintv-d card and in terms of software...ati dvd, dvd genie, yxy, dscaler, and the wintv apps, and thats it...

-yeah, i installed windvd in hopes it would add something i was missing, but it was a no go...

>Rickd

what are Cart drivers and where can i find these?

thanks everyone for your help...

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Have you checked your system to see what IRQ the audiophile is using, and whether its being shared with anything else?

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yea, my mistake, i believe its the dell precsion 420 but its that link a bios update...is that what i need to do? or do i need to add some addition drivers? i had to add a driver for the on board ethernet...but do i also need one for the chipset ? or the usb or somethign else?

hmmm, how do i check the irq of the card?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
go to the dell page, click under support, enter your model, check under downloads. It will have everything available for download, while you're there you might as well update everything (hope you have high speed inetrnet access).

I'd try that first, can't really hurt. To check the systemn resources, you go under settings->control panel->system->I forgot now, I think computer->resources (I'm not currently at a win98 machine). It should give you a list of all devices sorted by IRQ.

BTW, don't fret. In the worse case, you can do a clean istall of the system. I like to set up my computer to make that easy...I keep my system partioned into two drives, the c: drive has ONLY has the win directory, D; has programs, downloads, everything else. I keep all driver updates in a directory on the d: drive (like the ati driver, directx8, audiophile driver). You remove all cards (but video), reformat c:, reinstall the OS, install the updates to IE and Directx. Then you install JUST the sound card, install ati drivers, dvd player, audiophile drivers. Then you see if that works. Don't worry, we're not there yet.

------------------

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
BTW, when I say everything, I mean everything relevant. In your case, that would be just the network driver and bios, as far as I can see.

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Now, if i do find that there is a conflict with the audiophile card? what should i do? would moving the card over help? or is there another course of action that i need to take?

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
For now, just make sure no device has a yellow/red "x" next to it.

Steps:

1. dowload bios & nic driver, install, reboot, make sure your computer is still ok

2. for laughs, try the ati player for dd output

3. reboot, enable usb in your bios setup screen

4. reboot again, see if it freezes

5. if it still freezes, turn off usb, bring computer back to life again

At this point, you may want to consider removing all cards except the audiophile and radeon. You will need to remove the hardware device(s) first in your system config, then turn off machine, then remove cards, then reboot again.

When you do that (again make sure everything come up ok first), you can try the ati player again

Still doesn't work? Reboot, enable usb AGAIN, see if it works.

That will keep you busy for a few minutes http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Alex

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Since you're not back, does that mean

1. It worked

2. Following my instructions, your machine is now fried and you can't get on the internet

3. You said to yourself, screw it, I'm joining the video processor forum

------------------

Alex

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Icemann0017:

___Did you reformat this drive and only install Win98 SE or are you using all of DELL’s junk from a restore disk onto the new drive? Also, since you have already installed the Maxtor ATA100 card SW, I have no idea that it is not affecting your setup. With most PCI cards (Promise) you should not place the CD/DVD-ROM drive on the controller card as well in case that is what you were doing. Might I suggest that you use the format C: command all over again and stay away from the add-on controllers. ATA33 was serving its purpose well before the ATA66/100 interfaces came about with drives from both yesteryear and today … You will only lose some burst as well as some throughput on the latest 15 GB/platter and higher drives available in the last 12 months. These latest high performance 35 – 50 MB/sec drives will be throttled to 33 MB/sec which is still well beyond anything that an HTPC can use today. A final cure for the ATA100 issue is of course a new I815 chipset equipped MB w/ native ATA100 controllers and Millennium without a patch w/ its native ATA100 Intel controller support from installation. Finally, with your DELL (Intel board), you have very little configuration so stay as close to default as you can. DELL does optimize their BIOS’ with what was given to them so hopefully you will not have trouble with that. The USB problem may be caused by that Maxtor controller sharing the same irq possibly so this is just another reason to consider removing the card and its drivers/SW altogether.

___Alex: Nice job on tech support if I do say so myself!

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

------------------

New E-Mail address for the time being ... [email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.