Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

I’m finally going to be ordering the last of my equipment and setting up my home theater, but I don’t know where to place the speakers and furniture in my room. I’ve spent so many hours trying to figure out where to put the furniture that I get a headache every time I think about it. I need your help!

Here is a to-scale layout of my living room:
http://diverson.home.attbi.com/homet...iving_room.gif

I’ll be posting the information regarding my furniture and speaker placement in separate posts so that it isn’t all one huge post.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
— Speakers —

I don’t think speaker placement is going to be that big of a deal, but I thought it would be interesting to hear some different opinions.

Equipment:

57†Toshiba 57HX81 RPTV

Harman Kardon AVR-525 A/V Receiver

1 x JBL S-CENTERII Speaker (CTR)

4 x JBL S-38II Bookshelf Speakers (LS, RS, RLS, and RRS)

2 x JBL S-312II Floor-standing Speakers (FL and FR)

SVS 20-39 PC-Plus Subwoofer (SUB)

This is what I have planned:

Tom, from SVS, suggested the placement of the subwoofer.
http://diverson.home.attbi.com/homet...r_speakers.gif

Click here to download the original Photoshop .PSD file.

The S-38II’s would be hung on the wall using small DIY shelves tilted at an angle as to direct the sound towards key seating, but someone told me that they thought the rear speakers should be closer to the key seating. I think that would be kind of hard to do; I would have to hang them from the ceiling somehow. From what I’ve heard about the JBL S-38II’s, there are no mounting mechanisms on them at all.

What do you guys think? BTW, how high up the wall should the speakers be?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
— Furniture —

This is how I have it setup right now, but the furniture needs to somehow face the new position of the TV (shown in the speaker layout above):
http://diverson.home.attbi.com/homet...-furniture.gif

Click here to download the original Photoshop .PSD file.

As you can see, there are three recliners and two sofas. I want the recliners to have a good view of the TV, as well as at least one sofa…

…see how frustrating it is? :mad: http://members.aol.com/nightdog35/im...y_banghead.gif

Feel free to mess with the above image and move stuff around—that’s what I’ve been doing. If you can’t post the image after you’ve changed it around because you have nowhere to host it, email it to me at [email protected] .

BTW, the fireplace is actually directly under the mantel. The area that I have labeled “Fireplace†on the layout is just the tiling that surrounds the fireplace. Therefore, I could place furniture on it, but it would block off the fireplace and just look… funny.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Game Master 128
:confused: I thought you guys would me more willing to help me. :(
Derek,

Refer to my responses at your thread at the Home Theater Forum.

Larry

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryChanin
Derek,

Refer to my responses at your thread at the Home Theater Forum.

Larry
I replied to you there.

I find it interesting that not even one person offered help here at the AVS forums though. There are more people here too, right?

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Sorry nobody has responded here. Usually folks are very willing to share and help.

Part of the problem may be that responding to placement questions is very difficult to do correctly with just text and a lot of us just hang here in small time slices and don't have time to draw pictures. Also, it HAS only been a couple of days and a lot of folks here only do this from their work connection.

My 2 cents....

Personally, I would ditch the idea of the TV in the corner. Depending on WAF, I think your second example is the best shot at getting several folks to have a decent view of the screen. The recliners are going to tend to block some sight lines no matter what you do.

Good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Sorry nobody has responded here. Usually folks are very willing to share and help.

Part of the problem may be that responding to placement questions is very difficult to do correctly with just text and a lot of us just hang here in small time slices and don't have time to draw pictures. Also, it HAS only been a couple of days and a lot of folks here only do this from their work connection.
I understand what you mean, but it wouldn't really be that hard to give a suggestion in plain text because everyone can see what the room looks like based on my layout.

Quote:
Originally posted by bpape
Personally, I would ditch the idea of the TV in the corner. Depending on WAF, I think your second example is the best shot at getting several folks to have a decent view of the screen. The recliners are going to tend to block some sight lines no matter what you do.
TV in the corner? :rolleyes: (Sigh...)

You misunderstood my third post in this thread just as someone else did at the Home Theater Forum. That layout was referring to the CURRENT placement of my furniture and TV. I made certain portions of the post bold so that no one else would misunderstand. I guess it didn't work. :) It is a bit harder to notice bold text with the color pallet this forum uses though.

I've actually moved my furniture around to see how everything would look and when turned at an angle (like in my layouts above), the recliners don't block the view at all. It is kind of hard to see how that would be possible looking at my images. You have to remember that the arms on the recliners are much lower than the backs of the chairs are, so the TV is clearly visible from both sides of the sofa even when someone is seated in the recliners.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.