Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance

I have a single DTV line in the bedroom carrying the signal from all 3 satellites hooked to a dtc-100. She who must be obeyed wants a DTV Tivo in there as well. Previous experience downstairs indicated that the HD signal doesn't like going thru the multoplexer I bought from circuit city. How do I split the bedroom signal so that I have still my line to the HD dtc-100 and two lines for the Hughes Tivo without comprimising my HD recepion?

Is there a special multiplexer for Hd signals?

If so where is a good place to get one

Thanks again

·
Registered
856 Posts
You can't split a satellite signal ... unless you don't mind a manual A/B switch (which I don't recommend) she who must be obeyed must first run another line (or another two lines if you want dual-tuner DirecTiVo) from your dish. It has nothing to do with HDTV ... no satellite signal can be split.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Why can't a sat signal be split?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
The problem is the multiswitch. The tuner tells the multiswitch what satellite and which LNB it needs for the current channel by sending different voltages back up the wire, so its a 2-way connection. If you split it, the tuners would interfere with one another and the switch would not select the correct combinations. You need a direct cable from the multiswitch to each tuner.

Tony

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NightHawk
This page has a basic overview--at a super high level, a STB can only "see" half of all the channels at any given point in time. This page has some basic DSS signal-related equipment definitions (e.g., passive multiswitch, active multiswitch, diplexer, etc.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Realizing it is not the most convenient or elegant, are there tedhnical problems with using an A/B switch?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Using an A/B switch means that either the DTC-100 will see the signal *or* the DirecTiVo will see the signal...and since the DirecTiVo works by continually recording the signal, it kind of defeats the whole purpose of the box. Sure, you could do it, but you'd only be able to use one tuner in the DirecTiVo (crippling it's coolest feature) and when the switch was set to feed the signal to the DTC-100, the DirecTiVo wouldn't be recording, so any scheduled recordings or Suggestion recordings would be jeopardized, as would your ability to instant record a spooled show. Having lived with 5 TiVos and currently 2 DirecTiVos over the years, you don't want to do anything that messes up the box's ability to get a signal...it just ruins the experience.

I hate to say it, but you sound like you need a good 5x8 multiswitch (assuming that you need more than 4 feeds for the entire house) and you're going to need to pull some more wire to be truly happy (i.e., 3 runs of RG6 to the bedroom). If you do need a new multiswitch, look for one that passes the 22kHz carrier tone, like an Eagle Aspen S-4180-GX+ (first choice) or the Terk BMS-58 (cheaper) from SolidSignal or someplace.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
HD signal goes just fine through any properly selected multiswitch. I do not see a practical solution involving a mechanical A/B switch.

You will need three lines to the bedrom to fully utilize both tuners in the TIVO plus the HDTV receiver at the same time. Is there a problem running those additional lines?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate all the help. It is clear that you are right. Using an A/ B switch would negate the basic Tivo concept

Thank everyone who took the time to respond and help

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.