AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, wanted to see if you guys could advise of the placement for the subwoofer in my setup. I know it would be best to test it out in the actual room, however the placement of the sub has an impact on the actual sub I want to use (haven't purchased yet). I'm open to front-firing or down-firing for the woofer, and side, front or bottom for the vent, just want to know the location I'm going to use before I get the sub so I can make sure to have the right space, orientation, etc.

Here is the diagram of the room. The circles with question marks are the possible locations for the sub. The front wall to the loveseat is about 2.5 feet. The side wall to the larger couch is about 4 feet.

I figure maybe this would be obvious to someone else.

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main entry is on the right wall and a little behind the larger couch. The top right is shown as a corner on here but it really winds around to some other areas in the basement.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts

If that top right is not a closed corner and it winds around to more basement then it looks to be a pretty good size room, I only bring that up because if you do have a lot of open area then the biggest thing you may have to consider when choosing your subwoofer is it's output and it's ability to pressurize the space. That said, your question is a good one because location is very important as well.

Truth be told it's hard to say from a diagram. The best way is to get a subwoofer in your home and do the sub crawl. Both of your locations have promise. Corner loading is often considered to be a good option and that's what you have with the location near the TV. Nearfield is also considered to be a good placement option and that's what you have with the spot between the two couches.

Then again, they both may be bad in your particular room. You just don't know where the best spot is until you get the subwoofer in your home and do a sub crawl (put the sub in the MLP, play some bass heavy music or bass heavy movie scenes, and crawl around your room finding the locations where the bass sounds the best in your room, those are the best places for your subwoofer).

Out of curiosity, what subs are you considering and what are the measurements of your basement?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopinater  /t/1522313/need-help-with-subwoofer-placement-diagram-included#post_24475623

If that top right is not a closed corner and it winds around to more basement then it looks to be a pretty good size room, I only bring that up because if you do have a lot of open area then the biggest thing you may have to consider when choosing your subwoofer is it's output and it's ability to pressurize the space. That said, your question is a good one because location is very important as well.

Truth be told it's hard to say from a diagram. The best way is to get a subwoofer in your home and do the sub crawl. Both of your locations have promise. Corner loading is often considered to be a good option and that's what you have with the location near the TV. Nearfield is also considered to be a good placement option and that's what you have with the spot between the two couches.

Then again, they both may be bad in your particular room. You just don't know where the best spot is until you get the subwoofer in your home and do a sub crawl (put the sub in the MLP, play some bass heavy music or bass heavy movie scenes, and crawl around your room finding the locations where the bass sounds the best in your room, those are the best places for your subwoofer).

Out of curiosity, what subs are you considering and what are the measurements of your basement?

From the back wall to the front wall (where the TV is) is about 23 feet. The length of the front wall with the TV is 11 feet and about another 5 feet for the open area on the right.

Budget is ~$200. I've looked at SO many subs but I guess I'm down to the Bic RtR-EV1200 or the JBL ES150P. I'm ok with the Polks in the price range but it seems like the two I mentioned give you better value. The EV1200 I was considering for the front because it would port to the right where there is plenty of open space. The JBL faces forward and ports downward so I guess it would be about the same in either place.

I was a little hesitant about the front corner spot because I don't want it to sound "boomy". I care about SQ over loudness. Now though I've read good and bad about corners so I don't know.

·
Registered
7,990 Posts

Your subwoofer will have to pressurize all the open space it comes into contact with and based on your description it sounds like you have roughly 3000 cubic feet of space to pressurize (assuming 8 ft ceilings). If that 5 ft opening leads to another larger room then then it would be more. I hate to say this because I know it's hard to be patient but If you care about SQ over loudness then I suggest you don't spend $200 on a subwoofer. I suggest you save a while and buy a sub that can at least put a dent into handling the space you have. 

The minimum I would look at is the SVS PB-1000 for $500 (but I doubt it can handle your space). I would seriously consider the SVS PB-2000, PSA XV15, HSU VTF-3 MK4 or the Outlaw LFM-1 EX to start, then plan on adding a 2nd sub down the road.  The hard truth about bass is that good bass in a large area is a little pricey. I have a room a little larger than yours and I have the PSA XV15 and it does a good job but I will be adding a 2nd XV15 soon. 

As far as space for the port, Tom at PSA says that you only need about 2.5 to 3 inches of space for the port to function well. 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.