AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm a busy guy and no expert when it comes to A/V. I had my house wired for speakers, indoors and outdoors. They are installing the speakers next week. The house is 7,000 square feet, so the Sonos system seems like a bad choice since I would have to buy 20 amps, at least that's what I gather from my minimal research. I don't need all rooms on the separate music lines, I really just want to be able to use my iPhone to play music throughout the house and be able to adjust the volume in each room. Can someone tell me which system is best for that? A couple different stations would be cool, but I don't need 20 different songs playing in 20 different areas at the same time. Not looking for a crazy powerful system, just something simple to play music.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Ok, I'm a busy guy and no expert when it comes to A/V. I had my house wired for speakers, indoors and outdoors. They are installing the speakers next week. The house is 7,000 square feet, so the Sonos system seems like a bad choice since I would have to buy 20 amps, at least that's what I gather from my minimal research. I don't need all rooms on the separate music lines, I really just want to be able to use my iPhone to play music throughout the house and be able to adjust the volume in each room. Can someone tell me which system is best for that? A couple different stations would be cool, but I don't need 20 different songs playing in 20 different areas at the same time. Not looking for a crazy powerful system, just something simple to play music.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.
Please understand, I don't mean to offend you. What you have just asked here is essentially, "My 7000sq/ft home is almost done, but I don't have any plumbing yet. What should I do?"

The answer at this juncture would be the same, "Hire an expert". With a project of even 25% of that size, you need an expert, and should have no issue with the cost of one.

There are many systems to choose from, some wire differently than others, some offer more less features, but nobody on a forum, including those of us who have done this as a profession, should be held responsible for designing your audio infrastructure for free without so much as a blueprint.

Get yourself a consultant to work with, an expert who installs distributed audio systems professionally.

·
Registered
900 Posts
The safe bet is probably a whole house audio system with digital keypads hard-wired with Cat 5e or Cat 6 cables. This means that you should run Cat5e/6 from each zone to the central equipment location. The HTD Advanced WHA system is a good example but it is limited to 12 zones. Monoprice has a similar system (although no official mobile phone app) but it is limited to 18 zones. If you really want 20 zones you should talk to professionals as only they have access to the higher end stuffs like Control 4 systems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, I should have been more specific. The house is wired for speakers and I have cat6 jacks everywhere needed, as well as by the appliances, etc. I'm specifically looking for the system or the brains that is recommended.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts