AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm building a home theatre and I need some advice on the best setup. Pretty typical question I know.

http://24.76.29.138/stuff/layout.gif

Here is a floorplan I did in visio with my ideas of where i would put everything. Notice that back dividing wall is not in yet. The room is 12' x 23'x 9' right now. I want to build it up for THX Ultra II, I was thinking of using Energy speakers and the Pioneer 7.1 amp.

I wanted the theatre to run using a HTPC, with a firewire DVD drive and a RF keyboard and mouse in the theatre room.

That's the rough idea. Does anyone have any advice about speaker positions, wattage, screensize, etc. for a room this size?

·
Registered
457 Posts
I don't know if you've already settled on CRT or Digital, but one huge advantage that I see with this layout is that you can mount the projector as through-wall from the equipment room. In fact, if you make that back room just a little bigger, you could make it your snack area. Then, you'd have a layout just like mine:D

Seriously, I ran into some dumb luck with this layout. I just happened to use a "false" ceiling in my rear snack area. This has been a major advantage since I've upgraded my projector cabling 3 times. And, since I moved the projector (DILA) from the Theatre seating area to the snack area, I don't really have to worry about heat or noise.

(OK. So maybe I still can't store chocolates near the D-ILA exhaust, but at least I didn't have to build a hushbox)

·
Registered
564 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts:
  • Big screens are cool. You probably have enough width for an 8' wide screen.
  • Would you rather have room for another row of seats or the equipment room?
  • Does the entrance have to go through the equipment room?
  • What about reversing the layout so the screen wall is at the bottom? That would give you a little more width at the front.

--Burke

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I agree with Burke on the entrance issue. I would put up a wall with another door between the main entry door and the equipment area. Could you move the main door to the left to seal off the equip area, and just have an entry way with no door where the main door was. This would seal off the equipment, so that you didn't have to see it when entering the theater, and it would form a small lobby entry way that you could hang a now playing poster on, opposite of the door leading into the theater.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
 http://24.76.29.138/stuff/layout-mod1.gif

Okay great! that back room will have it's own air exchange unit, so if the projector will work from 18' away that is great.

I was thinking that I should have the rack accessable from the theatre, is there some sort of sound and airproof door i can use so that the equipment stays cool. what do you think?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Remember for the BEST possible picture and TRUE blacks CRT is the only way to go,

ts

·
Registered
564 Posts
How wide of a screen do you want? How many seats?

I ask because the wider you want the screen, the further back you will have to sit. The more seats, the more rows (and you don't want any rows against the back wall) Based upon the answers, you may need to make some trade-offs.

--Burke

·
Registered
726 Posts
A couple of thoughts:

1. It appears your seating distance is around 17'. A 96" wide screen may be to small. Seating distance of 1.5 to 2 x screen width are typically recommended.

2. Don't forget all the other details in addition to layout, ie, soundproofing, acoustics.

3. I don't think the subwoofer located in the cuby hole is a good idea.

If you haven't been studying this subject for a while, I would go slow until you learn more. (Sometimes we learn more than we want to though :) )

·
Registered
306 Posts
My room measures out to be 21' long and 14' wide, so it is pretty close to yours. Since I have 2 rows of seating I wish I had another 3-5' in length.

The rear seats (on a riser) are only 2-3' from the back wall and I think they need more space for the dipole surrounds to really sound best. The lower seats are at a better distance but end up being about 12' from the 8' wide screen and that's just a little close for my taste.

You will be able to get the best placement of acoustics and video if you only have to deal with one row. Once you get into trying to balance 2 rows of seating, walking space, speaker placement, etc. you will end up having to make some concessions.

·
Registered
24,883 Posts
I think the idea of placing the screen at the other end of the room really opens up options. My HT is 25' long and easily has three rows of seats so two rows in that space should be easy. I do disagree with the seating distance. This really is a personal thing I think. My front row is about 10' back from a 9' screen. If the source material will support it ( HD or good scaled DVD) this is by no means too close.

Art

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.