AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am new to this new for of surrond. I have a denon 3808 rec and 2 HD sources PS3 for blueray and a toshiba A30 hd-dvd player. All connected via HDMI

I have not been able to get the denon to go into tru hd nor have I had it go into DTS MA. I have tried with software ( the perfect stom) in HD dvd and (rush hour 3) for Blue ray. My recever just says multi ch input and does not light up true hd nor DTSMA. Can anyone help with this set up. I have the blue ray set to bitstream via HDMI and the A30 set to auto ( which toshiba said is Bitstream). I have the admf flag set to on and the input set to decode on the denon.

Lets face it I dont have a clue!!!

I know this shouldwork but not having any luck.

Can anyone help.

Also using Cables to go HDMI connects ....... Could it be the HDMI wires???

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Neither the ps3 nor the A30 have the ability to transmit TrueHD or DTS-MA bitstreams. They can both decode TrueHD bitstreams to PCM and send multichannel PCM. Neither can decode DTS-MA, but both can extract the DTS core from DTS-MA and similarly convert it to multichannel PCM and send that. The A30 may send the DTS core as DTS bitstream. I'm not sure.

If you want to see the TrueHD or DTS-MA indicators light up, you need an HD-A35, an HD-XA2, a Panasonic BD30, a Samsung BPP-1400, or one of several other Blu-ray players that can bitstream the newer codecs.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I can't help with the HD but I can tell you the PS3 doesn't do TrueHD or DTS-HD-MA. That was the deciding factor for me when I bought a a Panasonic BD30.

Joe

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so does this mean that I ahve a rec that I dont have a source to do what I wanted it to do?

I have 7.1 klipsch and I want these new version of audio. Any suggestions other than getting new sources?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
First, they can both play uncompressed pcm tracks which are lossless. And they can both decode TrueHD and DD+. There's some debate about whether or not player decoding sounds as good as receiver decoding, but I don't think there's much debate that the sound you can expect from either one of them is far superior to what you would get from legacy tracks on standard DVD's.

I have a ps3 myself and I think it's fantastic. Relax and enjoy both of them for a while before you decide what to do next.

·
Registered
8,984 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timdog1031 /forum/post/13012293

so does this mean that I ahve a rec that I dont have a source to do what I wanted it to do?

I have 7.1 klipsch and I want these new version of audio. Any suggestions other than getting new sources?

You are fine with your current equipment. Your PS3 and A30 both decode TrueHD themselves and send it to the receiver as multichannel PCM. (That's why you set your PS3 to PCM instead of bitstream.) The audio quality is the same regardless of where it is decoded - in the player or the receiver. The only thing you are missing is the word TrueHD on your Denon display.

You are out of luck with dts-MA on both fronts. No current players decode dts-MA and neither the PS3 nor the A30 can send it bitstream. On HD DVD it doesn't much matter because that codec is rarely used. It matters a bit more on Blu-ray, although many Blu-ray disks also have uncompressed PCM tracks, which is the same studio-original quality.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIslander /forum/post/13012419

You are fine with your current equipment. Your PS3 and A30 both decode TrueHD themselves and send it to the receiver as multichannel PCM. (That's why you set your PS3 to PCM instead of bitstream.) The audio quality is the same regardless of where it is decoded - in the player or the receiver. The only thing you are missing is the word TrueHD on your Denon display.

You are out of luck with dts-MA on both fronts. No current players decode dts-MA and neither the PS3 nor the A30 can send it bitstream. On HD DVD it doesn't much matter because that codec is rarely used. It matters a bit more on Blu-ray, although many Blu-ray disks also have uncompressed PCM tracks, which is the same studio-original quality.

So if I understand you

If my denon says muti ch in and I select the type of Sourond back signal IE PL cin matrix or non matrix, this is the same as what I would get anyway. The flag on the display doesnt matter?

Should I set both devices to PCM and live and let it roll?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts