AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello all, I am trying to restore a pair of Bose 501 speakers to pair with my Bowers and Wilkins DM 14s for home theater use( Yes I'm as shocked as you are they pair so nicely ).  I have already refoamed the subwoofers and was planning on using goldwood tweeters to replace the originals, however the sound is just too different from the original.  My question is if anyone know if the tweeters from the Bose 501 series 3-5(which are far easier to acquire) are significantly different from the series 1 tweeters in either ohms or sound signature.  Any help, OUTSIDE of the usual Bose bashing, would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for the link. Actually the only reason I didn't pick those up is because the housing around the tweeter is round on all of the original ones that I had seen and square on series 2 and 4 so I doubted the claim that they were from the original 501. These on the other hand  http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Bose-tweeter-501-SERIES-3-/131132853269?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item1e88208c15

are virtually identical except for the silver cone(and I'm not yet a big enough speaker buff to know if that is actually a different material on the cone or merely painted)..

When I tried to look up a set through cross referencing the number, 107405, I'm always taken to the round design so I was initially a bit skeptical. Thankfully I still have one surviving tweeter with which to reference in the first place.  However unless a decent set are listed soon I may have to take a chance on those.  Thanks! any other information is appreciated!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts