AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i was at a buddy's house and he had some old vintage gear in his basement which looked to be in great mint shape but he was not using it. I decided to take a change and bought it all from him..but i'm having a hard time finding out any values for this gear.

I really just want to feel better about what I paid...so any help??? here's the list

Kenwood KA-9100 Integrated Amplifier

Kenwood KX-830 Tape Deck

Kenwood KT-7500 Tuner

Kenwood KD-5077 Turn Table

Kenwood matching stand the gear fits in made for it

Kenwood Speakers LS-990 in great shape (Very heavy!!!)

He said he paid a lot of money for this back in the day and i'm sure he did...but I wanted to know what it was worth now? and is it worth more since it's all together and matching with matching cabinet and matching speakers? or would I be better off breaking it up and piecing it out if I wanted to sell it? ANY advice would be appreciated!!! (These pictures are borrowed from an online search...it's just easier)

·
Registered
634 Posts
disclaimer; this gear may be older than me, so my reply is not based on personal experience

i doubt it will matter much if you keep the speakers with the same amp, both for resell value and system performance. if they are in great playing shape and youre trying to set up a vintage system i would say keep them, and after a few weeks/months of listening you should have a good idea as to whether you like them or want to replace them. same to the electronics

what did you pay for the set? i know thats a bit of a personal question, but that is the best way to determine if youve got a vintage goldmine on your hands. if the gear is in great or near-mint condition, i guess as long as you paid less than the original msrp youre coming out ahead

the general advice ive heard from yesteryear electronic hunters is to always no the difference between "vintage" and "old". hopefully you landed on the right side of that one!

·
Registered
382 Posts
Dude, are those pictures of your actual gear? If so they look mint! Well I like vintage gear, most of the stuff I find is a little shop worn. Check out ebay and look for your gear under "completed items" to get an idea.

I'd hold onto the stuff and enjoy it if it were me. How do you like the sound?

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well sadly it turns out the amplifier is pooched. one channel works, then the other, but not both at same time...too bad too cause the stuff was in such good shape i had really high hopes. ah well.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19594837

well sadly it turns out the amplifier is pooched. one channel works, then the other, but not both at same time...too bad too cause the stuff was in such good shape i had really high hopes. ah well.

Probably just a cracked solder joint, dirty main/direct switch, or something similar. Easily fixable!

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJTEX /forum/post/19594883

Probably just a cracked solder joint, dirty main/direct switch, or something similar. Easily fixable!

Exactly what I was thinking. If both channels work, even intermittently, then it's probably a simple soldering job, perhaps involving replacing a switch or two, and maybe some capacitors and resistors while you're in there. It would probably be a good idea to use or find a schematic before doing any amp surgery, however. If you can't find one, draw one of the components you are going to touch before removing or moving anything.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19594959

Seriously? So you think I should keep it? How much do you think it would cost to fix?

Man, there's a whole sub-culture of electronics geeks who love to restore and fix vintage electronics gear, especially 70s era amps. Do some Googling and you are sure to find at least a few forums devoted just to that sort of thing. I'm sure you can find easy answers to how easy a job it is and even what parts and tools you'll need.

Good luck. If you enjoy any kind of electronics work, it could be fun. Keep in mind that these sort of things can be tedious, and sometimes you have to try out different parts before you get the right one, but that's part of the fun.

·
Registered
5,215 Posts
My cousin still owns a fully fuctioning KR-7600 that he got when he went to college back in 1977. It still looks like it came out of the box. The only thing he's had to fix was the on/off switch. Even the bulbs are original. Now he has it hooked up to a Niles 6 room speaker box to run his whole house stereo. Lot's of clean power 80wpc and don't forget phono pre amps were standard. Cost of this was $530 quite a chunk of change for the time. There are plenty of people around that fix vintage gear. This stuff you have looks like it's worth investing in. Should be a great vinyl set up!!

·
Registered
256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19594959

Seriously? So you think I should keep it? How much do you think it would cost to fix?

If you are going to farm out the work, call the shops in your area for their labor rates and policies. It wouldn't hurt to call Kenwood directly too to see what depot repair services they offer.

·
Registered
481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/19594837

What do you mean one channel works then the other? What makes them switch? Most old equipment problems are due to bad contacts in switches and pots.

·
Registered
384 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave1027 /forum/post/19597906

What do you mean one channel works then the other? What makes them switch? Most old equipment problems are due to bad contacts in switches and pots.

agreed. If you're determining whether channels play by turning the balance knob on the amp back and forth and get intermittent operation you may have your problem right to hand.

The usual first try fix is a can of spray 'tuner cleaner'. Be sure it's non-oily and does evaporate, pull the knob from the balance pot and give it a couple of short squirts while working the control back and forth. Let it sit a while then see if it's fixed or IF IT CHANGED. If it's fixed, go about your business till next time; if it only changed you may need a new pot or a professional cleaning/check.

Unless badly overloaded that old gear is bulletproof in many ways although the large capacitors dry out. It'll usually still play if old, but maybe not with the performance it once had.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.