AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have decided to go "all in" on the HTPC front. I plan to play back ripped BD's/DVD's as well as use a HDHomeRun Prime with WMC to replace my DVR. I have spent hours reading on here, including Assassin's free and Renethx's guides.

I am confused about video cards. I am looking for the best video quality I can get (want to equal BD playback via my Oppo BDP-83) and have to have bit streamed HD audio, both DD and DTS as well as LPCM. My questions ...
  1. Do all ATI/AMD cards have 23.976 framerate's? - I have read comments that imply they do, but I have also read the opposite.
  2. Do all recent Nvidia and ATI cards bitstream HD audio via HDMI? Again, I have seen comments that ATI does and Nvidia doesn't, but I have also read in several places that they all do.
  3. Is ATI at a big disadvantage with respect to not being able to run LAV on the GPU? There seems to be differing opinions as to which line provides better video quality, and whether LAVCUVID & madVR is required to get it.
  4. Both guides seem to indicate the Intel SB integrated graphics is capable of running madVR, etc, so what is a discrete card buying me quality-wise?

Basically, I'm confused on whether to get a GT440 or an ATI 5xxx fanless or 6570/6670.

·
Registered
233 Posts
+1 for the HD6570 fanless right here! I put the HIS 6570 in my setup and it is everything I needed it to be! And, I got it on sale for $59 a few weeks back at CompUSA (Tiger Direct).

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
After reading through the MPC-HC thread (which ended up a video card discussion), I just ordered a fanless 5470 cheap to try. Found some independent confirmation over on Anandtech that the 5xxx and 6xxx HD Radeons have 23.976 Hz support and pass HD audio.

I'm not going to worry about LAVCUDID for now.

Should be assembling by next weekend.

EDIT: Oops - meant 5450, not 5470. It was the Radeon Assassin recommended in his guide.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.