AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new receiver to go with my new TV and whatnot. I am getting a Samsung LNS4095D LCD with the sony upconvert dvd player. No plans for HD dvds at this point. Also planning to get some RF-62 floor standing speakers...just two for now but full 5.1 eventually. (I hear they are better than the F-2 and F-3 models sold in the best buy stores. Can anyone confirm that?)

I have a best buy in town, and would like to stay away from having to order from anywhere else since i have some accrued some reward zone coupons

My options from them are basically yamaha, sony, and pioneer, but a friend of mine said he could get me a harman/kardon fairly cheap too. I don't know much about the difference in the four brands...is one better than the rest?

I am kind of new to the new high definition connections (all my old stuff were just stereo RCAs
) so i was hoping someone could give me some ideas. I would like to stay under 400-500 dollars for the receiver, but could go a bit higher if it is really worth it.

I hear HDMI isnt that necessary on a receiver unless you are planning to go Blu-ray or HD. So I am guessing I want to go optical.

I would really appreciate some help guys. Thanks

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
First stay away from Sony. The other brands you listed are quality receivers and it would basiclly come down to prefrerence, connections and features.

At BB if you didn't want to go with an HDMI receiver I would highly recommend the Yamaha HTR-5960, this is the same receiver (without the zone 2 feature) as the Yamaha RXV-659 and it is getting steller reviews, you can check out the review on the rxv-659 at audioholics.com

If you wanted to get a HDMI receiver in your price range from BB the Pioneer 1016 would be a good choice. It doesn't pass audio via hdmi though so you would have to still run a seperate cable for digital audio but you could still use the AVR as a switcher. Those are probably your best picks from BB in your price range.

·
Registered
536 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakeman02 /forum/post/0

First stay away from Sony. The other brands you listed are quality receivers and it would basiclly come down to prefrerence, connections and features.

At BB if you didn't want to go with an HDMI receiver I would highly recommend the Yamaha HTR-5960, this is the same receiver (without the zone 2 feature) as the Yamaha RXV-659 and it is getting steller reviews, you can check out the review on the rxv-659 at audioholics.com

If you wanted to get a HDMI receiver in your price range from BB the Pioneer 1016 would be a good choice. It doesn't pass audio via hdmi though so you would have to still run a seperate cable for digital audio but you could still use the AVR as a switcher. Those are probably your best picks from BB in your price range.

Also look at the Yamaha RX-V1600 which I just decided on after much consternation. The 1700s are out so you should be able to get it for a good price and I've always had great luck with Yams.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.