AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just got a VGA to BNC breakout cable today and connected it to my HDTV. My problem is this, I do not see any differance in quality at all when compared to the S-Video output on my V-Card.

I'm using Powerstrip v3.17 it think and I have used just about every rez that comes with powerstrip (I am still too newb to do my own timings).

Can anyone help me with my dilemma?

My HDTV is a Mitsubishi WT-46809 , as far as I can tell it only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i.

My video card is a PNY GeForce3 TI500.

Thanks.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
True,

What method did you use to compare the quality of the images?

Often it's hard to tell the difference when just "eyeballing" it.

First, using one of the HT calibration DVDs (like Avia) , you need separately calibrate your video display both for s-video and for component or RGB video.

Then you need to compare the color rendition and resolution test patterns using both types of signals. Then you'll be able to say precisely which is better and by how much.

I hope this helps a little.

·
Registered
15,079 Posts
The DVD "Avia Guide to Home Theater" is available from various DVD stores, on the web and locally. It's often available for rent from local video stores, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok this is what I have found so far, while using PS I've tried all of the 540p variations also the 1080i. Problem is that my DVD's look far better when played on my Xbox.

Also when using 480p on PS, my HDTV says that it is getting a 1080i input instead of a 460p. Unless someone has some custom timings I can use I don't think I will be watching my PC on my HDTV :(

Any advice you guys might have for a lonely newbie would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now Im wondering if there is a way I can get 1280x960 (supported by Counter Strike) to fit in a 1080i signal? If anyone can help me with the Powerstrip timings for this, it would be great!

Or if anyone has a good way to play CS on a 16:9 HDTV.

Thanks

My HDTV is a Mitsubishi WT-46809 , as far as I can tell it only supports 480i, 480p and 1080i.

My video card is a PNY GeForce3 TI500.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.