AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys,

I'd appreciate your input on this...I'd like to update my A/V receiver (coming from Yamaha Rx-V1400). What I need to know what pluses/minuses has one vs the other. My budget is up to 2k., looking for the best possible receiver(including reliability) for both music and movies. I do a bit more movies where the receiver is but my first passion is music. Initially I was looking also at the Pioneer Elite SC-37 and Onkyo TX-NR3008 but dropped them for one or another reason. Don't want to update again in few years. Initially I was looking at having THX Ultra 2 also, but is it that important (Denon has it all but that)?? Or maybe you have another suggestion for that price range?

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37x /forum/post/19559783

Hello Guys,

I'd appreciate your input on this...I'd like to update my A/V receiver (coming from Yamaha Rx-V1400). What I need to know what pluses/minuses has one vs the other. My budget is up to 2k., looking for the best possible receiver(including reliability) for both music and movies. I do a bit more movies where the receiver is but my first passion is music. Initially I was looking also at the Pioneer Elite SC-37 and Onkyo TX-NR3008 but dropped them for one or another reason. Don't want to update again in few years. Initially I was looking at having THX Ultra 2 also, but is it that important (Denon has it all but that)?? Or maybe you have another suggestion for that price range?

Thanks so much!!

No one? Can't believe I'm the only one looking at these two...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I started with a Yamaha RX-V661 and moved to Denon 4310. I really like the Denon because of the Audyssey calibration, Internet radio, Network features, Web remote (control the receiver via iPhone/web browser), On screen OSD and of course excellent sound. I pair it with the B&W 683 HT system.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Have you checked out the new Yamaha RX-A3000, I did not see it in your list. Dec issue of Home Theater has reviews on both the Pioneer & the Onkyo. I have not found any reviews yet on the RX-A3000, still waiting......

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have the Denon 4311CI, i have had it for about 2 weeks, Came from a Onkyo TX-NR905 which has everything but the HDMI 1.4, it also had THX ULTRA 2 cert.

I was always very pleased with the sound quality from the Onkyo, however hated it for its reliability and it was very laggy switching from input to input sometimes if you turned the unit off then back on within 5 min its like it would hang up on boot and take 20-30 min to get the picture back up. The customer service was horrid from onkyo. The final straw was i got a new Samsung 63 8000 series plasma and a new oppo 93 3d player and running true 24p out of the oppo the onkyo would freak out and clipp and flat out just not want to work. Since i have had the Denon i have been nothing but pleased at the quality no bugs. did have a little audio/video sync delay but there is a setting to correct it. the menu is a little bland as far as audio format handling and the video settings in the receiver are almost none you cant really do much other than adjust color related things. I would like to turn off all video processing and pass the image stright to the tv sometimes. But thats just me. anyway let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know about it

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilley52 /forum/post/0

Have the Denon 4311CI, i have had it for about 2 weeks, Came from a Onkyo TX-NR905 which has everything but the HDMI 1.4, it also had THX ULTRA 2 cert.

I was always very pleased with the sound quality from the Onkyo, however hated it for its reliability and it was very laggy switching from input to input sometimes if you turned the unit off then back on within 5 min its like it would hang up on boot and take 20-30 min to get the picture back up. The customer service was horrid from onkyo. The final straw was i got a new Samsung 63 8000 series plasma and a new oppo 93 3d player and running true 24p out of the oppo the onkyo would freak out and clipp and flat out just not want to work. Since i have had the Denon i have been nothing but pleased at the quality no bugs. did have a little audio/video sync delay but there is a setting to correct it. the menu is a little bland as far as audio format handling and the video settings in the receiver are almost none you cant really do much other than adjust color related things. I would like to turn off all video processing and pass the image stright to the tv sometimes. But thats just me. anyway let me know if there is anything specific you would like to know about it

Thanks.well I was in for the denon until I saw the thread here, all kinds of issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by davecon1 /forum/post/0

Have you checked out the new Yamaha RX-A3000, I did not see it in your list. Dec issue of Home Theater has reviews on both the Pioneer & the Onkyo. I have not found any reviews yet on the RX-A3000, still waiting......

Thanks yes it's in the title...how did they rank those 2 in the reviews? Still undecided.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilley52 /forum/post/19569415

Well, thanks first of all, you are kind. I never had a Denon, I come from Yamaha RX-V1400...

I'm tempted by Denon but have seen all kinds of bugs and issues with it on this forum. Also no THX certif?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hi G37,I have a V1400 also, love it,but not ready to upgrade yet since my 6 yeaar old panny plasma is still going strong. But have been reading many threads on this site,avr,plasma,blueray. Seems to me with all manufactures there are problems with digital/internet,I suspect this technology was rushed through and the whole mess is full of bugs. On any new AVR make sure it has video pass through,which seems to be a major complaint if it does not have it. I really see a lot of frustration with this technology,even by people who understand it. Too bad you are paying good money for this equipment and should be able to enjoy it. Dont see a lot of talk about how great the music sounds, but of I don't like my Netflix queue,or hdmi handshake problems.

Old Mike

·
Registered
313 Posts
I recently upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V1500. Like you, I had a $2000 budget and was torn between the Yamaha RX-A3000 and the Denon AVR-4311ci. Ultimately, I wound up with a $500 Yamaha RX-V1900.

Why? Because I couldn't justify spending 3x as much for receivers where the only real advantages didn't apply to me and those advantages came with a whole slew of bugs.

By stepping down to the RX-V1900, I lost the following features:

- HDMI video processing (My PS3 is an excellent upscaler for DVDs and my other HDMI sources are natively 1080p, I also only have a 40" TV)

- Network connectivity (I already have a PS3 and an HTPC in my entertainment center)

- Superior room correction (YPAO in my old RX-V1500 was fine for my needs)

- Handling of large numbers of speakers (my system is only 5.1)

- HDMI passthrough (I always turn my receiver on when watching TV)

- HDMI 1.4 / 3D (I don't like the 3D effect in movie theaters so I can't imagine wanting it at home)

I also lost the following problems:

- Buggy 7.1 stereo mode (Yamaha RX-A3000)

- Potentially annoying on-screen volume display (Yamaha RX-A3000)

- Flaky HDMI handshaking (Mostly Denon)

- Buggy video processing (Mostly Denon)

- Frustrating network interfaces (Neither receiver seems to have a very good network-audio GUI, and I find hard-to-use features more annoying than absent features)

All-in-all, I figured I'd be better off saving my money and going with the hassle-free experience. Plus, now I still have $1500 left over to upgrade in the future if/when a manufacturer actually gets all of the fancy features working bug-free.

You may not come to the same conclusion I did, but we did come from similar starting points based on what you've told us so far.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you made an excellent decision. I also was looking hard at the rx-a 1000 but its out of my budget, so I may also get the discounted 1900. Did you notice a difference in sound quality from your rx v1500. How does dolby true hd and dts ma sound.

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvin /forum/post/19635689

I think you made an excellent decision. I also was looking hard at the rx-a 1000 but its out of my budget, so I may also get the discounted 1900. Did you notice a difference in sound quality from your rx v1500. How does dolby true hd and dts ma sound.

I don't think it sounds significantly different from the RX-V1500. That said, I never did a side-by-side comparison because my RX-V1500 died about a month before I bought the RX-V1900. The big advantage for me is reduction of cable clutter from having HDMI audio and video switching.

One audio feature that I definitely like, which the RX-V1500 lacked, is the "Compressed Music Enhancer" (which I find works really well for streaming video like Hulu and Netflix).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzhokhar /forum/post/19635569

I recently upgraded from a Yamaha RX-V1500. Like you, I had a $2000 budget and was torn between the Yamaha RX-A3000 and the Denon AVR-4311ci. Ultimately, I wound up with a $500 Yamaha RX-V1900.

Why? Because I couldn't justify spending 3x as much for receivers where the only real advantages didn't apply to me and those advantages came with a whole slew of bugs.

By stepping down to the RX-V1900, I lost the following features:

- HDMI video processing (My PS3 is an excellent upscaler for DVDs and my other HDMI sources are natively 1080p, I also only have a 40" TV)

- Network connectivity (I already have a PS3 and an HTPC in my entertainment center)

- Superior room correction (YPAO in my old RX-V1500 was fine for my needs)

- Handling of large numbers of speakers (my system is only 5.1)

- HDMI passthrough (I always turn my receiver on when watching TV)

- HDMI 1.4 / 3D (I don't like the 3D effect in movie theaters so I can't imagine wanting it at home)

I also lost the following problems:

- Buggy 7.1 stereo mode (Yamaha RX-A3000)

- Potentially annoying on-screen volume display (Yamaha RX-A3000)

- Flaky HDMI handshaking (Mostly Denon)

- Buggy video processing (Mostly Denon)

- Frustrating network interfaces (Neither receiver seems to have a very good network-audio GUI, and I find hard-to-use features more annoying than absent features)

All-in-all, I figured I'd be better off saving my money and going with the hassle-free experience. Plus, now I still have $1500 left over to upgrade in the future if/when a manufacturer actually gets all of the fancy features working bug-free.

You may not come to the same conclusion I did, but we did come from similar starting points based on what you've told us so far.

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I did almost the same, decided NOT to spend money on a new receiver but rather keep the old one. The sound is excellent and what spend a bunch of money for HDMI switching???

·
Registered
313 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G37x /forum/post/19644220

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I did almost the same, decided NOT to spend money on a new receiver but rather keep the old one. The sound is excellent and what spend a bunch of money for HDMI switching???

I probably would have done the same as you if my old receiver hadn't died.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.