AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted threads before, but i may of been to vauge...

Im in the market for a 55-65" HDTV, perferably widescreen..

Now here comes the question, and once again whatever advice u can give a true novice, ill appreciate..

1)If i buy a widescreen, would i have any problems w/ a stretch image, b/c ive read up an found some people talking about that as a problem. And i use direct TV, and i may have cable just incase when it rains. As for HDTV, i thought i could use my dish, and just buy a reciever, am i right????

2)16:9, sorry, but what does that mean. I thougth that meant widescreen image #, but correct me if im wrong...

3)If a DVD is widescreen, will it fit accuratly on my TV.

4)besides, DVI, what other components, or outputs do I really need???

5)and yes, what is the best model to buy. Pereferably the people that own the big 1's can share there opinions.

6)so just to reiterate, widescreen, or regular screen which is better???

7)as for plasma, i dont think its in its reliable stage, but my question is the pixels and overall PQ, which TV is the best...

regardless of anything, thanks for ur help and sorry for the long thread...

·
Registered
597 Posts
4:3 is normal tvs, and 16:9 is widescreens. It is a ratio of the screen length:height...

I would most likely go with 16:9, and most people stretch everything and get "used to" the picture like this. If the DVD is widescreen it will fit on every tv, if you mean will it fill up the whole picture, well it depends on the tv first and foremost and then on the DVD itself. if you go 16:9 then most likely the widescreen DVD will be the entire screen; however, I think there is one widescreen dvd type that will have bars at the top and bottom of the screen. If you look at the back of DVDs it will tell the screen aspect ratio(i think that is what it is called) that the DVD plays in. As I said, one will give bars anyhow. Not sure which.. Although this isn't a problem, it is still watchable, and as long as you don't leave the bars on the screen too long(which could cause burn in) then everything is fine.

A good plasma TV will give you the best PQ. one step down will probably be the 40XBR800(however, this is 4:3, not widescreen, although widescreen can be viewed on it, there will just be bars at the top and bottom. However, the 40 doesn't have burn in issues, unless you left a still picture a couple of days or more. Don't quote me on that though :->

on RPTV(rear projection TVs) you don't wanna leave a screen paused for long periods of time, or have those channel bars some stations have at the bottom of the screen too long on screen, because the image could get burned on the screen... Rotating your viewing habits alleviates this worry. Don't leave the channel on headline news and go to work! :->

Most likely if you get a TV with DVI, you will have every hook up you will ever need. I would think! However, some TVs have a computer hookup that allows you to display your desktop on your TV. not all have this though, so if that interests you, that is the only "other" thing you will need. Since if it has DVI, you should be set with enough hookups...

What is most of your viewing habits? DVDs? games? Computer? cable TV? That will help people answer what is best for you as far as widescreen and 4:3 goes? I am going widescreen most likely, however, if I didn't I would go with the 40XBR800(best picture other than plasma, decent size, however poor widescreen size when compared to RPTVs, no burn in worries though).

However, I have been looking extensively at the 50 or 60XBR800(LCD rptv, with good screen size50 or 60 inches from corner to corner, no burn in worries since it is LCD technology, the high density images such as DVDs looks so good it looks 3d, however, cable signals fed to the tv looks weak, since cable signals weren't meant to be stretched across 50" screen, also, blacks are less solid than on a CRT(tube tvs, like the one you probably have in your house now). However, since I mainly watch DVDs and play games, I am hoping that the 50XBR800 also called the GWII(grand wega 2) is the perfect choice for me...

Hope this helps some!

I think everything I said is reliable, but I am basically a novice too, so let me know guys, if I goofed! :->

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
awesome help, thanks alot for taking ur time..

quick question, LCD, isint that the same as pc monitors?

·
Registered
597 Posts
Sorry aldo but I am not completely sure.

I am sure it is very similar but not sure how technologically exact they are in the implementation. I have heard lcd comp monitors have issues with blurring(not sure the exact name for it), and I haven't noticed that with the GWII.

I would be interested in knowing myself.

I will toss this out there though, I was under the impression that there wasn't a projection in LCD monitors it was done by way of, oh nevermind, not sure what I am trying to say. :->

Try this link, this will go into the technology of the GWII:

http://www.agoraquest.com/index.php#

If this doesn't work it is because you have to be a member, and let me know and I will find another site with the same video.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Aldo,

Check out the GWII as suggested. It uses 3 LCD's (red, green, blue) in place of the CRT's. It's still a rear projector but only 15 1/2 " deep. Fairly compact for an RP. No convergence required and no fear of burn in, especially if you want to play video games using the easy access side connections.

It's a good transition between regular CRT rear projector and Plasma.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
how much do they cost?

and whats the size?

and do all competitve stores sell them, well, i guess i ll find out today since i am going to do a circuit, best, and soundadvice walk through..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.