AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to spend less than $3500 for a sub, receiver, and 5.1 speakers. I'm pretty sure (but not decided on yet) that I'm going to go with Aperion bookshelves (532's or 632's) all around. I'm still checking out the Axioms and Paradigms. Thats about $1000-1500, and I really want the SVS PC-Ultra sub, which is about $1200. This leaves me anywhere from $800-$1300 for the receiver/amp.

Should I go with something like the HK AVR 435, 635, Denon 3805 or Outlaw 970/7075. The most expensive option is the Outlaw, but it has only 75wpc and the Denon has 125wpc. Can anyone comment?

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Remember that an avr wpc is not rated at all channels driven at the same time but it's rated in stereo and if you look at the spec sheets you will find that it's most likely 50-60 watts per channel with all channels driven Unlike H/K which rates their avrs a bit more honestly,On the other hand you can do like I did and get a good avr and use it as a pre/pro and use an outboard amp which works very well or go the outlaw option . But one thing I have discovered is that many avrs have features that most pre/pros don't have at all ,like me for example I have a Yamaha htr 5790 with 3 amps hooked up to it and I am getting killer sound on a budget but then that's my preference, And finally remember that separates will alway be alot better than an avr hands down .Lou

·
Registered
7,466 Posts
Any of those receievers would be a good choice, though I favor Denon because they typically have more cutting edge features than the other two and they have consistently good sound quality, in my experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.