AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background:

I'm pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the hdtv realm and the pc realm.

What I need help is info/options with the networking realm (how do I get them to integrate). I have an HDTV with DVI inputs. I also have a new pc that had a tuner and video card with DVI outputs (getting ready to utilize it as a HTPC). Presently, the 'HTPC' is 30 feet away from the TV (other side of the room).

I am imagining 3 Options, but not sure if Option # 3 exists. I'm looking to spend up to $500 to get the job done and be able to keep a 'pc experience' 30 ft away from the tv.

Option 1: Move my 'HTPC' next to the TV, connect them w a DVI cable, purchase a 2nd 'light' PC, buy a router, and put the 'light' pc 30 ft from the TV. That way, if someone is watching tv/htpc, then a 2nd pc is available across the room (but has network access to the HTPC).

Option 2: Keep my 'HTPC' where it is (30ft from the tv), buy a 'light' PC, connect the 'light' PC to the TV, purchase a WiFi -n router(s), and have the HTPC 'beam' signals across the room to the 'light' PC, so that the TV can recieve signals from the tuner card in the HTPC.

Option 3: Keep my 'HTPC' where it is, purchase a router, and purchase 'Device X' which can recieve the WiFi-g, -n, or WiMax signal, and connect 'Device X' directly to the DVI input on the TV. Does 'Device X' exist?

Other ?s:

Now, that WiFi -n routers are available, is there enough bandwidth to send HDTV signals from one PC to another? Is WiFi -n the minimum to wirelessly send HDTV signals or do we still have to wait for better WiMax routers?

Any feed back, info, or recommendations would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DVI doesn't have to be used. I have other I/Os available, such as component. Ultimately I just want any of the 3 Options to work, even if it's only for SD to WiFi across the room. (I'd lik to have HD to send across the room, but just wondering if SD would be feasable to put into an alternate video input on the TV(via the HTPC or Device X)).

I've also heard that when you start having long runs of DVI or HDMI cable you start getting into signal problems (if it's a poorly shielded line). True?

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
There are as many ways to do this as there are ________.

I would either use a light pc built to be small and quiet but hdtv capable next to the tv using hdmi/dvi and connected via 100mbit or better hardwired lan (NO WIRELESS, TOO SLOW!)

or an xbox 360 if you have some need for the xbox anyway like hd-dvd or games.

That is if you need the pc useable while being used for tv also. Technically you could just have two monitors, keyboards and mice and extended desktop running off one pc if it will only be used for basic stuff and not gaming during tv or other resource eating stuff.

Whatever you decide go hardwired, and use dvi to the tv if it's a digital display.

Troy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is there any way to get a 2nd monitor, running off of the same pc, without using wires to 'connect' it to the pc. I though I remember hearing about a wireless monitor at the CES, or is this something that's about to be around in about a year or two? I would just like to surf 30 ft away from the tv (without having to by a new laptop, if feasable)

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
There are wireless ways to do that, some are out, some are not yet out, but all will cost more than just picking up another basic pc for browsing anyway. If money is a concern you could buy any number of web browser capable basic used pc's for $!00 complete with monitor, keyboard etc or even less money sometimes (aka free) and run just the one ethernet wire between the two and be done with it.

Look at craigslist.org, freecycle.org, penny savers etc for all the millions of people that practically can't give away their old pc's now that they have newer ones so cheap.

Almost anything can be a web browser machine from a pentium2 to a early athlon, duron, whatever... IF you want new I bet you could find a cheap new pc for #200-$300 range.

Use your good pc for HTPC on the big screen, use the cheapo just for mail/browsing stuff.

Used laptops come cheap too, but watch out for battery replacement costs and that it already has everything you need such as a network card so you don't get nickle and dimed to death. If you won't be playing video or downloading with the cheapo pc then it could be wireless to the main htpc.

Whatever you do get one with a legal windows XP already on it, you don't want to deal with upgrading or running 95/98 or something. (Prebuilt pc's have the sticker on the case with hologram for a license, that's all you need.

Troy

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got this info sent to me as a personal message (posted hadn't posted 5 times yet). This is some helpful info that'll send us in the right direction and get some questions answered along the way. Thanks.

From another poster:

I am actually in the same exact position as you, and i think i have found the solution.... first you need something like this http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=0&pid=438 or one of these http://www.netgear.com/Products/Ent...diaPlayers.aspx

If HD Is an absolute MUST... then you might have to wait for more products. And i know what you're thinking now... what about the speed of wireless g? well you could use one of these to overcome that. This has nearly double the speed. http://www.netgear.com/Products/Pow...etAdapters.aspx

That product turns any outlet in your house into a network connection, capable of 84mbps. So you can just put it near any outlet, without having to run cable.

There are also a few good articles that helped me out as well... http://www.engadgethd.com/2005/12/1...al-impressions/
http://www.engadgethd.com/2006/01/2...o-month-update/

Althought you might not have an xbox360, there is still some good info about why it's hard to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.