Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

I need some HT speaker recommendations for a medium sized game room.

To be used for home theater movies and console games.

i was first attracted to the bose because they are so small, but then I read some of the forums and then listened to the bose again, and noticed a distinct lack of midrange, and sounded horrible with the bass on any setting except full.

you all have shown me the light and I will stay far away..

So now I need something similar, they should be small, but don't have to be bose small... 7 inches is good...

I saw the Klipsch quintet speakers at best buy. Right size and price.. 400.00 for 5 speakers

But then I saw an online deal for the quintet II, only 299.

What gives best buy!??? More $$ for older product??

Then I saw JBL SCS145.5

Then browsing on the forums, I am overloaded with options I never heard of before.

PLEASE HELP!

A few questions:

So what are your recommendations for my needs (mid to small speaker, ~500.00 price range, 5.1 for movies and games) ?

Can you recommend any good online retailers to purchase from? (since it seems bestbuy was going to overcharge me for an obsolete model)

I will be driving these with my old Sony DE845 5.1 receiver.. I just discovered this forum after I bought my receiver years ago.. is this a decent receiver to drive the speakers you will recommend? I'd rather not upgrade if I didn't have to... and I don't need LOUD.. just good.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
650 Posts
I don't know the difference between the Quintet's and Quintet II's, but am familiar with the somewhat similar ProMedia computer speakera (and I have Klipsch Reference series speakers in my home theater). Either Quintet system will be better than Bose or HTIB speakers, but not the match of 'real' speakers (with larger drivers and enclosure volume, MDF construction...). If your budget and space dictate small satellites (instead of bookshelf speakers), and you like the Klipsch sound, the Quintets should work great for you. There are many other 'Bose alternatives' out there, but I'm not too familiar with them.

Quality and power wise, your Sony receiver should be fine, however the bass management may not be suitable. You will need to cross these speakers over at 120Hz, but most older receivers have a single large/small speaker setting which crosses over the sub at 80Hz. If this is the case with your Sony, then you will have a hole from 80-100/120Hz since the little speakers don't reproduce these frequencies.

Don't forget you will also need to buy a subwoofer. Since it'll have to play up to 120Hz, location will be even more critical to prevent localizing it. A Hsu STF-1 would be a good match if you want to spend ~$300. If your budget for a sub is less, then look at the used market, or ask over on the sub forum for some recommendations in your price range.

Hope this helps,

Lee

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.