AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building my theater as we speak, I have a 3 sided bay 10' wide in front of which i am building a false wall to contain my Toshiba RPTV. I am building a component rack to the right, and dvd rack to the left, all flush mount. My one problem is once everything is in place, I won't have access to the back of the TV to plug everything in and change things around. The one idea I had was to install a sliding shelf for the TV so I could bring it out to access it, but the slides I could find were awfully expensive ~$160/pr. Here is a link:
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...urrency=1&SID=

If anyone has any other ideas I would gladly welcome them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
I built a pair of long, narrow boxes from 3/4 inch plywood that have sides a bit taller than the tops so the wheels can't roll off the sides. The top height is level with the TV platform. If I need to slide the TV out, I take the boxes out of the garage and though it's a little work, it doesn't happen often. It's not elegant but it's cheap.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That might be my best bet, I was also thinking of possibly making the DVD shelf a slide out unit, so it would also serve as an access door to the area behind, since it is large enough to walk around in there.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AHH just had an idea. I have 43" behind the front wall, If I make the shelf full depth, I should be able to slide the tv back to the wall, and I'll have 20" space in front to climb in, then slide it forward enough to access the jack panel....I am quite skinny BTW, I hope this new theater doesnt make me suddenly gain weight :)

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Make your own panel and position where ever it would be convenient and then run patch cables from your panel to the RPTV's panel.

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,178 Posts
I also have a three sided bay. One side is a wall for a hallway so I just stuck an 18 inch closet door there. I can get behind the yet to be installed equipment rack.

I also plan to make a permanent rounded bump out "stage" as part of the overall design so that I can pull a rptv out a bit to get behind if I need to.

Although when I started this project two years ago I thought I would stick a big RPTV in the wall. Now that technology and price has progressed I might end up with a either a plasma screen or a Lcos or DLP based RPTV which are thinner.

If I could only work faster I wouldn't have to keep changing my mind.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally posted by budk
Make your own panel and position where ever it would be convenient and then run patch cables from your panel to the RPTV's panel.
For the cost of the cables and panel I could buy another tv. Plus wouldnt there be signal loss?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally posted by BIGmouthinDC
I also have a three sided bay. One side is a wall for a hallway so I just stuck an 18 inch closet door there. I can get behind the yet to be installed equipment rack.

I also plan to make a permanent rounded bump out "stage" as part of the overall design so that I can pull a rptv out a bit to get behind if I need to.
My problem is that this bay is concrete and underground....:) So I'm pretty much stuck to accessing it from the front. I am building a stage, but not that big, and my shelf is going to be about 12" higher than the stage.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by budk

That's what I was thinking, and I may do it myself on my setup.

Quote:
For the cost of the cables and panel I could buy another tv. Plus wouldnt there be signal loss?
You must have a really cheap TV. ;)

Really, really, good cable is pretty cheap. My local Home Depot sells 500 ft. rolls of General Cable RG-6QS for $57.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
RG6 is cheap yes, but the ends aren't and a DVI extention cable isnt...here's my jack panel layout....you figgure out the cost for me. I paid $1699 CDN delivered for my toshiba 46H83....I was exaggerating in my statement, but not overly.

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/img/products/46H83_jack.jpg

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'd be surprised if you couldn't create a subpanel for less than $100. A set of 3 RCA panel bulkhead connectors can be bought for less than $7. A S-video bulkhead is the same price.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about the component, and dvi panels? I would assume those would cost the most.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
Component panels are the same as the RCA panels with different colors. For the DVI, just go ahead and buy something long enough to run it straight to whatever component you want to run it to. You can get something like a 3 meter DVI cable for around $70. That should be long enough to run it to any of the components in the shelves next to the TV.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.