AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attached is a picture of my great room. Just recently purchased the house and trying to map out how i'm going to have it setup. Im thinking a plasma over the fireplace, but I also would like a projector screen to drop down on that same wall. Am I trying to do too much? Should I just think about moving everything to a different wall and leaving the fireplace alone?

·
Registered
635 Posts
What are those wires on the right wall and what/where are they coming from or going to?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its a foreclosure..so don't know much about the options the homeowner opted for when it was built. It's in a custom home subdivision. There are four in ceiling speakers in the room. I will probably just use them to just play music via a control4 system. Looks as if the room was prewired for a plasma over the fireplace and all wires routed to the other wall. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I bought a new home last year with a niche over the fp. We used it like that with a 46" LCD for a few months, but soon got tired of the placement and lack of surround sound. We opted to rotate our room 90 degrees and place the TV/Audio/front speakers on a larger wall. It required me to run additional wiring which took some time but we are much happier having the TV at eye level.

Of course, I am saying this without seeing the rest of the room. You may not have or want to turn it based on other walls, or seating arrangements.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Do you have access above this room?

·
Registered
21,052 Posts
I'd put a projector screen ( perhaps electric to drop down over a smaller flat screen ) on the wall to the right, and leave the fireplace wall alone. If you can shelf mount a projector on the opposite wall, you can leave the ceiling fan in too most likely.

The fireplace wall is pretty cut up with windows and the fireplace as it is.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Craig. Kind of what I was thinking. I'm going to measure the room and see what hard numbers I'm dealing with. My next problem would be hiding the outlets above the fireplace. I guess a nice picture or miorror could do the job.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts